Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's the best way to go from 0 hours to the regionals?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First off does he have a pvt license? has he even taken some intro flights? Do these first at his local fbo to see if he wants to consider continuing. Atleast solo then think about plunking down $$$$$$$

Then if still yes, look at the money factor. He should not go into debt for this. he will be putting himself into a big hole just to start off. If mommy and daddy are funding it or his last name is kennedy or hilton then so be it and hit one of the puppy mills like ATP's and have a blast - althogh i still think the local FBO or the military will do a better job.

If however it on his dime I'd say find a local school and pay as you go. He already has a 4 year so he can get a job for around 30K plus depending on his degree, live at home and afford to fly 3 time per week. At this pace he'll have the multi-comm/cfi in about 1.5 to 2 years. Then if the "boom" is still on get a FO slot at whatever commuter is hiring with comm/multi mins. If not then CFI and 135 until a 121 job comes along then start the upstream swim tward the dream job - we all know how it works by now.

As for the DWI any of the many self proclaimed "interview coaches" on here will tell you its all how he handels it in the interview - except you will have to pay said "interview coach" - you get it from me for free (if only more females woud say that to me). Its not a show stopper but something that can be delt with. By the time he gets to the interview say 2 years from now and you say it was a few (3) years ago then he has had 5 years to prove his maturity and good record. Plus if in the meantime he can get it expunged all the better. I know guy in 121 that had the same deal. I also know a guy with a DUI and vandelism charge in his past that is flying C-17's in the reserves.

Also have him look into the guard or active military.

Good luck - but the bottom line is (if you haven't already) get him up with yourself or to a local FBO and have him fly to atleast solo before going any futher.

Last edited:
i think the best point that's been made so far is:

does he even like flying?

most pilot mills take people with a private license as well as zero start... tell him to get the PPL part 61 and see what happens from there..

Breathing and a pulse. Even people with DWI's are breathing and have a pulse. He's golden. Go to the cheapest slimiest school; pad your hours a bit, and you're set. Actually they're all slimy, so go the cheapest.

I'm tired of these accelerated flight school garbage. Most "graduates" can't even make a crosswind landing.

I learned how to do a crosswind landing when I taught my first student to do it - at 500 hours. Oops! Sorry guys. Wrong thread.

Before doing anything make sure he can get a 1st class medical. Getting a pvt at a local airport is a great idea, unless is he is gonna go to a pilot factory for the rest. From what I have heard going to a pilot factory after initial, will cost more money as they make him fly more to um *cough cough* get up to their standards. You might compare the difference in price. 141 vs 91. You dont need as many hours par 141 but the pilot factory will cost more. When you narrow it down to a few schools, you might consider part 91 needing 250 hours for the commercial ticket, the experience from the extra hours might come in handy. I dont think the DWI will be a problem as long as he doesnt try to hide it and addresses this in the correct way. OH and if he applies to my regional, let me know we will split the referral bonus. haha Grammar pepes, please dont rip me a knew one, I am in a hurry here.

First and foremost, even with the lack of qualified applicants available to the regionals today, a DUI will be a problem for a long time into the future. If for nothing else, it presents a problem for flying into Canada, as well as for passing background checks prior to employment. I'm not passing judgement on the guy because of a DUI (we all make mistakes in life) but rather how will this affect him in being "the most qualified applicant" when he tries to apply to an airline. Prior to spending the huge ammount of money that the flight schools charge for their fast track to the airlines programs only to be faced with explaining the DUI everytime he sets foot in an interview, he should try and get the DUI expunged from his record prior to starting down the road of flight training. After doing that, All ATP's has a good program that seems to place a lot of graduates into airlines. I've flown with a good number of them, and they all seem to be pretty sharp in their flying skills.

DO NOT GET IT EXPUNGED! A friend of mine got the job with SWA. He lied about his DWI on his app ( becaue he thought it was EXPUNGED). The good old FBI background check came through and proved to be on the money. They told him to apply again. I had a far worse case but told the truth and got my dream job! If you try to hide it now, it will haunt you forever. Don't forget no one is perfect, and the deffrence between me and other people is that I got caught. Don't lie! You will feel better in the long run.

Latest resources

Back