• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's life like flying for ATI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is the app window going to open back up any time soon? How many swimmers?

The 10/29 class emptied the pool of guys from a year and 1/2 ago. I think there are a couple of guys in the upcoming class that interviewed very recently. I'm not sure how many they interviewed off this last application window, but I imagine there are about a dozen who will be in the next couple classes.

Just speculation on my part.

Ditto, it was 12 months on the nose for me, see you in class on the 29th :)!
and of course last but not least, congratulations to you!:beer:

Congrats guys! Quick questions:

1. Are newhires starting as FOs or FEs on the DC8s?

2. What's the breakdown % between domestic and international flying tend to be?

3. Any word on whether ATI will be adding more 767s to replace DC8s in the near future? I personally am a fan of the DC8 - I think it would be an interesting airplane to fly.

Anyone know if all of the DC8s are EFIS equipped like this one (nice fruit tray):

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-...94434/L/&sid=cbab4f129c22c694882ec4e0cfb57941

I've heard good things about ATI and I am glad to hear there is finally some hiring going on.

Last edited:

Probably DC-8 FO's

2. What's the breakdown % between domestic and international flying tend to be?

It depends how far your willing to sacrifice days off vs. time at home. You will probably not see an Intl. scheduled line for years. But.... If your willing to give up a bit of QOL you can go "Open or Scheduled Reserve" then you have a greater chance of Intl. flying (vacation cover/charters)

3. Any word on whether ATI will be adding more 767s to replace DC8s in the near future? I personally am a fan of the DC8 - I think it would be an interesting airplane to fly.

They've said at times 1 for 1 replacement, we'll see. 8's are cheap to operate as long as you can get parts. I'm in no rush to see more 767's on property, but if they come with "home basing", the guys already here will probably jump all over them for the foreseeable future. I would think for a while at least all training will be in the 8.

Anyone know if all of the DC8s are EFIS equipped like this one (nice fruit tray):

Nope 71 series are "Steam Gauges" and they work great. 73's are poor mans EFIS. I had much better stuff on the Brazilla, but they work. Fruit Tray Optional

I've heard good things about ATI and I am glad to hear there is finally some hiring going on.

Yep and with ALPA coming on the property soon (Nov 4th, 1401 EST) it may help jump start contract negotiations, at least we all hope so.

Rumors next "window" Jan 2010, watch the website. It's usually posted before crews know about it

Last edited:
Concrats to you guys going to class on the 29th.

I have an Interview on the 22 any info would be greatly appreciated.

Were you guys in the pool from last year?

Thanks to all for all the great info provided on this site I have gone back years reading about ATI.

Thanks, JJ

What MrSky said, but I'll add:

We have a Second Officer list, but it has always been empty and should stay that way. All engineer seat occupants here are bonafide PFEs or retired pilots with A&P licenses.

All 5 of our -73s are equipped as in the photo, and our sole operational -72 has a similar, slightly better display. All of the -62s and -71s are steam-equipped. Bad form on the fruit tray - not spota put stuff up there! I've NEVER done that. Today, anyway...

Congrats to everyone headed for class, and best of luck to those with interviews!

A couple of you guys have pm'd me asking about the interview and I havent had time to respond because I've been slammed trying to get some things done before next weeks G/S!
I'll try to sit down and write an update for this site:
http://www.willflyforfood.com/pilot-interviews/214/ATI-Air-Transport-Intl-.html
I haven't added anything yet but these two prior posts are very much spot on. The 20 question mult. choice gen.aviation knowledge test is something you can't even remember once you walk out side the room because of the wording. Read the questions carefully and you should do fine. What little I can remember; runway center line lights during the last couple thousand feet, temp vs alt vs performance question, when does wake turbulence end ? (touchdown, but the answer was written funny, something like when the nose wheel touches the ground....) Just read the questions carefully, if you can fly an airplane you should be able to do fine. The sim session was easy , the intructors are great , they want you to do good. they are just there to weed out the hopeless cases! If you can scan an instrument panel you can get through it... t/o intercept a radial, go to a vor enter a hold , vector to an ils and land.Not a big deal , use the guy in the left seat and use any flows/verbage from what you are used to ..... The hr/interview session was relaxed too. A few tell me about a time questions; how would you handle a guy who is known to go below mins all the time, How do you feel about 'silly" SOP's. Nothing very technical, they just want to get to know you. No biggy with that part either! Good luck , you'll do fine! It's a very relaxed family type interview , no tricks and some of the nicest people you will ever meet!:beer:

Classic Purdiness:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Transport-International/McDonnell-Douglas-DC-8-73AF/1569575/L/&sid=135eaa77eaa4745ea7b1bd83202f373e

Last edited:
A couple of you guys have pm'd me asking about the interview and I havent had time to respond because I've been slammed trying to get some things done before next weeks G/S!
I'll try to sit down and write an update for this site:
http://www.willflyforfood.com/pilot-interviews/214/ATI-Air-Transport-Intl-.html
I haven't added anything yet but these two prior posts are very much spot on. The 20 question mult. choice gen.aviation knowledge test is something you can't even remember once you walk out side the room because of the wording. Read the questions carefully and you should do fine. What little I can remember; runway center line lights during the last couple thousand feet, temp vs alt vs performance question, when does wake turbulence end ? (touchdown, but the answer was written funny, something like when the nose wheel touches the ground....) Just read the questions carefully, if you can fly an airplane you should be able to do fine. The sim session was easy , the intructors are great , they want you to do good. they are just there to weed out the hopeless cases! If you can scan an instrument panel you can get through it... t/o intercept a radial, go to a vor enter a hold , vector to an ils and land.Not a big deal , use the guy in the left seat and use any flows/verbage from what you are used to ..... The hr/interview session was relaxed too. A few tell me about a time questions; how would you handle a guy who is known to go below mins all the time, How do you feel about 'silly" SOP's. Nothing very technical, they just want to get to know you. No biggy with that part either! Good luck , you'll do fine! It's a very relaxed family type interview , no tricks and some of the nicest people you will ever meet!:beer:

Classic Purdiness:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Transport-International/McDonnell-Douglas-DC-8-73AF/1569575/L/&sid=135eaa77eaa4745ea7b1bd83202f373e

Thanks! I really appreciate you taking time to post this while in the crunch for time. I'm interviewing next week and am really psyched! ATI is somewhere I've wanted to work for ... ever!

I sure hope it works out, ATI has had a habit of hiring in the fall for the spring furlough. A search on here will bring up several post about it. I guess they are in the 5th year of negotiations following a 100% strike vote. The good thing is that ATI has their hands in everyone's pie right now. (AMC, BAX, DHL, Charter, ACMI) The amazing thing about it all is despite all the BS Ive never talked to an ATI crew member that regretted being there.

However, as of recent, there is some internal strife about some crew members being called S**BS over the KMIA base bid against union "recommendation". There was a post on another site with Names but it was locked/deleted quickly. One pilot over there is petitioning the (keepers of the list) to add the names. It would be the first addition in 5yrs or so. His argument being the CAL83 40 and the UAL85 50. He wrote a great post (ref'ed some rulings and arguments from both suites) even an old fart found it very interesting. Sad it disappeared so quickly. Sites are quick to ban poeple who talk of such stuff though. SO I sure wont.

I sure wouldn't leave a steady job for them but if unemployed heck yeah do it.

Last edited:
Welcome new hires! I think most of you will be happy here and I wouldn't worry too much about the fall hiring/ January furloughing thing because rumor has it we will not be doing a UPS peak this year; therefore this hiring should be due to non-seasonal business. Presently we are very busy doing charters and the company seems to have realized they waited too long to fill seats.

Latest resources

Back