• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's Great Lakes up to?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You won't get on with TSA right now with anywhere CLOSE to what you could get on with lakes at. I do agree they used to hire lowtimers, I interviewed with all of 650 hours back in the day, luckily I didn't get the job cause I'd been furloughed 4 months later. But now, I hear the competitive minimums at TSA, no matter what is posted on the web, are easily double that.

GLA MX

This was several years ago, but remember Great Lakes shut down for a short while to get the MX side of the house in order. They had to do that or the Feds were going to shut them down. I quit 3 weeks before the shutdown. I was not surprised by the shutdown. They once dispatched us in an E-120 with 13 MELs!!!!

I sure hope things are better now. Although when I was there it was the worst airline I have ever seen.

Hi Guys,
I'm with you all the way on the pay, benefits and work rules stuff. Like you I've worked hard, finished college on active duty and now I'm making a meager salary flight instructing ( although, shovelling more snow than flying this past week). HOWEVER, here is the secret...Marry a nurse! My wife makes $25.00 an hour works 32 hours a week and gets paid for 40, she has great benefits and lots of room for growth within her profession!
So, I consdier myself being very fortunate to have a "Sugar Momma" to subsidize my flying career. Granted I change a helluva lot of diapers, had to learn to cook, etc...ad nauseum...
Best of luck to all you guys out there struggling, believe me I know how you feel after a career in the military as an enlisted flight crewmember.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back