• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

whats going on at Comair?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I heard a rumor the FAA was trying to violate the Comair crew on the bump n run deal at JFK. Is that true?

Oh wow thanks for the constructive answer, the discussion actually came up in real life and since I don't live on these boards I was curious if there was any truth to it. Perhaps you can point me to a thread where this was already discussed?

They were stopped and got hit in the tail. Doubt there's much of a violation there.

As far as I know still a slow death spiral. Rumor of more early out packages come August. Shutdown soon. Not official, but what else is there?

Offering buyouts only to eventually shutter the place seems counter-intuitive to me. Yes, they are saving on unemployment insurance costs, but not nearly as much as the buyouts cost.

I talked to an FO that has been here 10+ years. She is taking the buyout ( in the next round). So Comair loses one $41K salary only to backfill it with another one. Where is the savings for the company?

What follows is conjecture (readers are shocked to find that on FI.com): Every $41K salary that gets removed from the payroll can eventually be replaced with a brand new first year FO salary. Most of the people that have been furloughed (I would estimate 90% or more) have found better jobs and /or wouldn't return if invited back.

I do not think Comair is going away, but I do think a lot depends on how our contract negotiations turn out. Delta wants leverage, and a sweet deal with Comair pilots would give them that.

Has everyone forgotten that we are in negotiations? Can you imagine any scenario in which the company (Comair OR Delta) supplies us with any good news?

I would like to nominate the following for a FlightInfo Award, subcategory "Comair Threads":

Best Avatar: Salukipilot

Best Signature Line: Flyboyike

Wittiest Post: comrap

I talked to an FO that has been here 10+ years. She is taking the buyout ( in the next round).
Did she mention where she's going? Had it not been for the Comair MEC's decisions post-9/11, she would have been at Delta 6 years ago.

Did she mention where she's going? Had it not been for the Comair MEC's decisions post-9/11, she would have been at Delta 6 years ago.

I don't think she has concrete career plans, and many of the people that I know that have taken past buyouts didn't, either. For some reason, the idea of a "buyout" has great appeal to some. "If you go away we will give you a week of pay for every year you've been here, up to 20." Funny thing is that they give me 5 weeks of pay every year just for staying. I don't see the appeal, other than a little (very little) extra coin and an opportunity to look for a job in a struggling economy.

The better possibly exists for those junior people to actually get furloughed and then collect unemployment insurance.

Re: Comair MEC - I strongly agree.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back