Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B-J-J Fighter said:
...and some are none.

Who doesn't pay deadhead pay????? Are you refering to a company that pays salery and not hourly, because that would make sense...but if you are paid hourly and are not paid to deadhead...that doesn't make much sense.

CommutAir, for one, doesn't pay deadhead pay. My first IOE trip when I got here began with a 5-leg unpaid deadhead from Plattsburgh, NY, to Dulles Airport. That was fun. Heh.

It's one of the many non-industry-standard things we were trying to fight when we tried to unionize a couple of years ago.

I'd like to take this opportunity to again thank the 57% of our pilot group who voted "no." Thanks! :D

AvroGuy said:
...If you are deadheading the company is positive spacing you. You will be garunteed a seat on the plane

As an addition to that, the regional I used to fly for would NOT positive-space us when we D/H'ed on our codeshare partner. Made for some fun calls to Crew Scheduling: "Hey, the 10:30 ORD flight left without me - what's next?" Then the response from the scheduler was usually along the lines of, "This #$@! company! Now we have to cancel a flight because you can't get there..."

CA1900 said:
CommutAir, for one, doesn't pay deadhead pay. My first IOE trip when I got here began with a 5-leg unpaid deadhead from Plattsburgh, NY, to Dulles Airport. That was fun. Heh.

My flight up to Plattsburgh to interview was PVD-ALB-BTV-PLB. I should have driven. My first trip on IOE I had to deadhead from Providence to Elmira by way of Laguardia and Ithaca.

Oh, I do miss those Commutair deadheads!

I believe the term was started in the theater industry. The theater house would keep track of the number of paying ticket holders. Those "heads" were counted. Then when everyone that paid got in they would sometimes let people in for free to fill up the empty seats in the theater. Those nonpaying theater-goers were referred to as "dead heads".

I could be wrong, but Mesa guys aren't paid for deadheading... I know they don't get paid if their flight is over block because of dealays, or if it's canceled. But hey, by working for free, they aren't bringing the rest of the industry down.

D.sanchez said:
I could be wrong, but Mesa guys aren't paid for deadheading... I know they don't get paid if their flight is over block because of dealays, or if it's canceled. But hey, by working for free, they aren't bringing the rest of the industry down.

1/2 pay for DH at Mesa.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back