• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

what's a sub 1500TT Lakes dude to do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CA are mentors/ teachers if you are not willing to accept that part of being a CA go back to the right seat. I didn't say 1,500 hrs was irrelevant I said HOW you got to 1,500 hrs is irrelevant. In addition to this if the 1,500 magical number was so great why did they allow carve outs to less than 1/2 the required hours?

CA are mentors/ teachers if you are not willing to accept that part of being a CA go back to the right seat.

True, captains can/should be mentors, but mentoring and teaching are two very different things. Checkairmen, sim instructors, ground school instructors; those are all teachers. When I'm doing IOE, I'm operating as a checkairman, and I'm being compensated for instructing (teaching). When I'm just flying as a CA, I am not being compensated for teaching, and providing professional service (IOE) without compensation (checkairman pay) isn't exactly professional.

I didn't say 1,500 hrs was irrelevant I said HOW you got to 1,500 hrs is irrelevant. In addition to this if the 1,500 magical number was so great why did they allow carve outs to less than 1/2 the required hours?

1500 is relevant. How you get the 1500 is also relevant. Additionally, education and type/quality of training are also very strong predictors of a pilot's success in 121 training and on the line. That is the main reason for the carve-out. This is all in the NPRM. You should give it a read. I'll paste the link below in the hopes that you educate yourself on this issue before spreading more inaccurate information.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/recently_published/media/2120-AJ67NPRM.pdf

Last edited:
You could flight instruct or fly 135 like the rest of us had to.

Who exactly would you be flight instructing? The other guys stuck at 300 hours looking for the last 1,200?

Same with 135. Those jobs just don't exist anymore, and what little bit does still exist has pre-1,500 hour pilots lined up out the door to do it for free.

Who exactly would you be flight instructing? The other guys stuck at 300 hours looking for the last 1,200?

Same with 135. Those jobs just don't exist anymore, and what little bit does still exist has pre-1,500 hour pilots lined up out the door to do it for free.

According to ATP, AeroSim, and other 141 schools, they can't keep up with CFI staffing demands. There are still countless opportunities out there for those who are resourceful and who take the initiative to find employment. I became a CFI in 2002, and was able to find employment during a time when our industry was still in the throes of 9/11. It was difficult, but if I can do it, anyone can.

I'm starting to think that new pilots are equating difficulty to impossibility.

Latest resources

Back