• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's a good KNEEBOARD?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry Guido, I couldn't resist! Actually, I had bought a yoke clip for a Cessna sometime ago, and used it once. That was all I could stand, but it left such an impression that after reading your post, all I could envision was the Bobble Head scene. ;)

Poor, poor Squale,

Somebody told you there was big money in aviation? Sorry, is it too late for a refund? I think you're going to starve more at the airlines that anywhere else too, at least in the beginning. You're going to start off as a flight instructor most likely, at approximately $12k - $15k per year (try starting to pay off those loans and it's HELLO TOP RAMEN!! You'll get a pay raise when you go to the airlines at about $18k - $20k per year. After 20 years in the company you'll be set though, that is if the airlines haven't drstically reduced pilot wages yet.

Really though, you'll be so dying to get PAID to fly that you'll MAKE your CFI job work, whatever it takes i.e. 6 roommates, top ramen, second mortgage, whatever. When you get the time put in and get hired by a regional you will get a small pay increase which will be just like icing on the cake, or tassles on the stripper, whatever catch phrase you prefer. One day you will get hired by a major and you will be able to afford those nice things that you're wife couldn't talk you into before.

My problem is I was hired to fly for a regional (read slight pay increase from CFI) then 9-11 happened and I got my training date cancelled. In the meantime I got a corporate job that pays a hell of a lot better and I don't want to take a pay cut to go to the airlines (never really wanted to be a bus driver in the first place. . .I want to be a limo driver) The way I plan on making money at the whole deal is getting on with a fractional (read slight pay DECREASE) to get some type ratings in some bigger airplanes. These people with time and types in big corporate airplanes can eventually command a six-figure salary.

The short answer to your question (that should have been a separate thread) is "yes" there are a million ways to skin that proverbial cat, and the way you end up doing it will most likely be different from the way I do it. it's peanuts in the beginning when compared to the investment you made, but remember it's because you love to fly (or are a glutton for punishment).

Just do us all a big favor, take the CFI job for the sh!tty pay, but don't whore yourself out to that corporation for a little more than you're making as a CFI when they come asking. it undercuts us professional pilots trying to make a living, yes we love to fly too but also love the qulaity of life we've built (are building) for ourselves and nobody likes a scab. you don't have to cross a picket line to be labeled a scab either. Good luck, friend.

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**, I just re-read my last post, my spelling, grammar, punctuation, and probably arithmetic, if there was any, was absolutley horrendous. See Big Duke, I probably don't need a yoke clip or anything to write on because with all the turbulence and my horrific composition skills I can't read any clearance I write anyway!

No wonder I'm always hearing:

"Cheyenne XXX. . .whose F***ing clearance are you flying anyway?"

"Cheyenne XXX um, er, I seen to be having to radio difficulties, yeah, that's it."

"Sir, are there any NASA forms on board?"

yeah I am not doing this for a career or for money, just because I love to fly.

I already work full time in the computer field and make pretty good money (about 3 times your CFI salary example), so that's how I can pay for this little hobby that I am persuing.

I HIGHLY doubt I will ever fly for a living, although a job down in the caribbean islands flying tourists from one island to the next or flying for tours wouldn't be that bad of a life. Who knows what kind of pay there is in that either though..

My ultimate plan, get my PPL, save up for a nice LIGHT SPORT aircraft (if that ever gets finanlized by the FAA), and just enjoy my weekends flying around with the wife, etc.

Although, I have considered going back to school to become an AP mechanice and work fixing planes for a living, but again, I have no idea what kind of money is in that either!

Reading through this thread, I realize how much money I wasted on stupid crap from Sporty's while in training. Get the $2 clear plastic clipboard from Office Max. Stick it under the seat when not in use. Simple as that.

Kneeboards are for fighter jocks and Shuttle pilots, ie. whoever goes inverted. Although they may be inverted, Mile High Club member pilots do not count. Nor do people who happen to keep unintentionally spinning their Bonanza.

The problem with this flight training is, that some schools require you to do a lot of _crap and carry everything so they can give you a grade on CRM (crowded room management) which for them equates into how well you are organized in your 152 :eek:

So I have this black jepp, the three fold with the metal rings in it, and the metal cheat board in the middle panel that I have never used. Then I also have a board from office depot for the X-country in case I fly a stage check. Without the jepp (or any good kneeboard with some pockets) I would not be able to carry (and put it into a place that I can also find) 2 checklists, the sectional chart, the terminal, the IFR plates (only the ones that we have around us) the clock, a notepad to write, a pen, and even the freaking electronic E6B if I need it for diversion or whatever... you all need to put this somewhere while your CFI laughs his _ass off with his little metal kneeboard.

I can see myself sinking this setup on the bottom of my drawer once I have my CFI but until then tell me where I put all that stuff in the 20 years old 152, or 172 or even in the PA44 there is no place. At least this way I only lose my view limiting device every other flight because the rest is attached to me :D

Knee board

Knee board?

Take an office clip board and turn it side ways until you get good, then throw that out and grab the jepps binder off the floor and whatever piece of paper you can find for a clearance and that's all you need buddy!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back