Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What would you have done (and bonus if you're familiar with citabrias)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Immelman

Today I was flying the Citabria. After about 1.5 of sightseeing with my wife she taps my shoulder and points at the right strut assembly. The stabilizer that connects wing rib to rear strut had failed where it bolts to the rear strut... just sheared off. There one moment (yes, I pre-flighted it), gone the next. We spent the next 20something minutes going - nice and slow - to the nearest vfr airport.

Rental outfit's mechanic said not to worry about it; its purpose is to dampen vibration (well why the hell did the thing break from fatigue...). An A&P where I stopped was kind enough to fabricate a quick bracket to bolt it back together and I went home. I noticed that that strut, even when properly attached, has a noticable vibration in a certain airspeed range... resonant/harmonic type thing. Simple change of airspeed and it was gone. Trouble was that the "excited" airspeed range was, you guessed it, right in normal cruise IAS.... so this thing will shake most of the time. The left strut suffers no such predicament.

Back at home base I showed the rental outfit's A&P, explained that the braket was temporary, etc.. they liked the fact that I got it taken care of, but to my surprise, when I mentioned the vibration, he still wasn't worried about it. The vibration of that strut (probably what caused the stress fracture) was a known issue. I'd sum it up to wing rigging or strut tention, myself. No, I haven't built or rigged wings, but I do know a thing or two and can see how this would happen... but that is exactly what has me worried: I am thinking that the attitude of nonchalance may be my clue to take the business elsewhere. Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've caught that vibe from this particular person.

FWIW the A&P where I made the precautionary stop agreed with the assessment of the first; this was not a structural piece, but its job is to prevent an otherwise wimpy strut from vibrating, and later causing metal fatigue where it attaches to the fuselage.

Also just for my own information, if there are any citabria owners reading this I'm curious what your thoughts are; a quick google search didn't turn up much except for a reference to a citabria magazine article on the subject that I could not read online.

Congratulations on returning home alive. Apparently you believe in luck.

There is no such thing. Don't ever do that again.

Neither you, nor the mechanics involved are qualified to determine if the failed part is indeed necessary to the longevity or integrity of the structure. When parts of the airplane start breaking off in flight, you land. And you don't fly again in that aircraft until it's been properly repaired. A shadetree repair by someone telling you it's okay, doesn't count.

The mechanic who performed your repair could lose his certificate for doing so. Not a suspension, but a revocation. If caught, you're more likely to experience a suspension, but you placed yourself, and your wife, in jeopardy.

Repairs need to be done in accordance with approved data. Period. Without that, the aircraft is unairworthy, the airworthiness certificate is invalidated, and you are in danger. This isn't a time to be managing risk; it's a time to be eliminating it. Hard to create an inflight risk if you refuse to fly the airplane until it's not only properly repaired, but you have a clear explaination as to why the part failed in the first place.

Flutter is a very destructive force. Nothing trivial. Vibrations may appear to be affecting an unnecessary part...but what caused the part to vibrate in the first place, and what is that vibration doing? What's going on that you can't see? Important questions to ask before you bet your life on an illegal repair.

A rental car home is a whole lot cheaper than a casket.

I would have landed and made them get another strut. Structural things are not to mess around with, if your engine/radios/dg/fuel pump etc. You can still make a relatively controled landing. Not so with out a wing. I don't believe the A&P made a approved repair and he returned the aircraft back to service, as far as you knew it was airworthy. And for starters not that I am qualified but on many wooden spared/ribbed and even metal the dual struts are there to keep the back of the wing from twisting excessively from the front of the wing, that wing could be damaged now. Twisting of a wing is not something its designed for.

Having done an extended battle with rigging issues on my Maule that, at one point involved a vibrating rear strut, I would guess that the rear strut is in compression at your normal cruise IAS. Now, I'm not an engineer or anything, but my understanding is that lift struts are designed primarily for tension loads.

If you take something long and slender and pull on the ends, it will withstand a pretty good load. If, on the other hand, you push the ends together, it will bend fairly easily. Now, support it in the middle as you push the ends together, and it takes more compression force to bend it. This is probably what the broken strut is designed to do...it doesn't dampen vibration, it adds strength for increased compression loads. Unfortunately, it appears that the compression loads on the strut are more than the strut can deal with even with the help of the support strut.

If it were my airplane, I'd sit down with my mechanic and figure out how to get it fixed. After the tailwheel issue, he doesn't argue with me anymore when I tell him to spend my money ;)

In your case, unfortunately, it appears that you don't have that kind of leverage due to the rental issue. If it were me, I'd find something else to fly. But then, that's one of the reasons I bought my Maule in the first place.

Fly safe!

David

ooohh, fully aerobatic airplane coming apart in level flight...and the FBO is not worried about the vibration....not too good there.

Find another place to rent from.

The reason I am so worried about structures is that alot of these airplanes are very old. Very old aircraft can be very safe as safe as a 172 SP out of the factory. The problem is that owners/operators are'nt taking the fact that when the aircraft were built they were 5 years old, and that the aircraft has been exposed to every type of flight condition weather salt, sand etc imaginable in the last 10-60 years. I flew a aircraft one time that had a stabilator repainted and deice boot removed. Problem was that even though it was signed off (and the mechanic that signed it off admited that he assumed the mechanics would do the balance) the balance was never done. Furthermore, the drain holes for the stabilator were covered by paint 6 hours of rain inflight and a CG change was all it took for that stabilizer to become unbalanced. Scared the *hit out of me. Not a joke. I'll fly any airplane to the ground and make sure I stand a good chance of the crash as long as I have control. Loss of tail control or wings is for the most part unrecoverable. Really FAA requirements are'nt that stringent. Consider the fact that a 100 hr pilot can go 2 years without flying do a 3 takeoffs and landings and still be legal same thing with repairs but it has to be according to resonable and normal practices outlined in the maintenace advisory circulars.

The problem is that owners/operators are'nt taking the fact that when the aircraft were built they were 5 years old, and that the aircraft has been exposed to every type of flight condition weather salt, sand etc imaginable in the last 10-60 years.

You mean the aircraft were on the assembly line five years and were five years old once they were officially built? Or perchance did you mean to say that owner/operators were five years old when the aircraft that they own or operate were built? If you meant the latter, what on earth has that to do with the price of tea in China? Would an operator who was ten years old when his aircraft was built be a better owner, or one who was 25 years old when his aircraft was built be even better? Not seeing the correlation, there.

Consider the fact that a 100 hr pilot can go 2 years without flying do a 3 takeoffs and landings and still be legal...

And a flight review by an authorized instructor too, of course...

same thing with repairs but it has to be according to resonable and normal practices outlined in the maintenace advisory circulars.

Of course repairs must be done in accordance with approved data (not necessarily advisory circulars, however), but what has that to do with a pilot flying two years with only three takeoffs and landings?

You crack me up Avbug. The point was some of these aircraft are'nt getting any younger. My dad was 5 years old when our C-170 came rolling out of the factory. The C170 outlived him. 50+ years is a long time and alot of people are'nt taking maintenance serious. And you could go exactly 2 years with just 3 takeoffs and landings and the next day need a flight review. :)
The coorelation to that was the FAA outlines minimum standards and like the above rule are'nt that stringent same thing with maitenance.

The coorelation to that was the FAA outlines minimum standards and like the above rule are'nt that stringent same thing with maitenance.

I couldn't follow your sentence structure, but you appear to be suggesting that maintenance regulation isn't stringent or exacting. I don't know where you got that impression, how much you know about maintenance, or your familiarity with maintenance and performance regulations, but you're quite wrong.

I've spent a number of years making my living as an aircraft mechanic, inspector, and Director of Maintenance. Personally, I don't know many mechanics in this business who take their work lightly, or who don't feel the weight of oversight. The knowledge base and scope of what an aircraft mechanic must know and do, and the detail to which he or she must do it, is far more extensive and exacting than that required to fly. I know, I do both.

Some private owners may not take maintenance very seriously, any more than some gun owners properly clean, care for, and secure their weapons, or those entrusted with the lives of pets properly provide for them. However, from the perspective of the FAA, there isn't leeway or wriggle room with maintenance proceedures, tolerances, and practices.

Age of the airplane is irrelevant. How does a pilot or owner of an aircraft being younger than the aircraft have any bearing on how it's maintained? Do you seriously suggest that an owner or operator, or mechanic might provide a lesser degree of maintence for an aircraft that's five years older than himself, than he might for one that's younger than himself? This is a ridiculous concept.

I learned to fly in a 1947 J-3 cub. I am not that old. The cub was impeccably maintained...it might easily have passed for one fresh from the factory on the day it rolled out, except perhaps that it may have been in even better shape, with better fabric, etc. I've flown and am typed in WWII bombers, though I didn't fly in WWII. I wasn't born then. When I flew the airplanes, they were better maintained and saw more maintenance more frequently, and were taken care of by people with far more experience and training than their original owners. Never the less, we saw them break up recently, and mechanical things do fail. Age wasn't a factor, though fatigue was.

In this case, we have an example of an aircraft suffering a failure of it's structure. The persons who elected to jerry rig it and who dismissed the seriousness of the failure had no place doing so. The aircraft should have been immediately landed and not flown again, following the failure.

I think that to suggest maintenance regulation is lax, that maintenance is viewed with no level of seriousness, or that owners and operators tend to dismiss maitnenance on aircraft older than themselves, are unfounded concepts.

The point was some of these aircraft are'nt getting any younger.

Neither are any of us who fly them. Again, your point is?

Latest resources

Back