What would you guys do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mocaman

I just passed my instrument checkride saturday. Now I want to do my commercial in a multi, and then do single add on. I have all commerical pre reqs done and written done. I have the choice of an aztec or a 310. I dont know years or models. The 310 is at a school were there is a good chance of me getting hired there to cfi. The aztec is owned my an examiner who also is the instructor. I have flown at the school where the 310 is for all my ratings. However, the 310 was landed gear up not too long ago. I really want to get this done as soon as possible. Should I wait for the 310 to be up again or go with the aztec? Which route would you guys choose? Thanks!
310=$199/hour $32/hour instructor
aztec=225/hour with instructor

I'd go for the Aztec, you don't have to wait and you'll save some money. You already have done a lot of flying at that school, so if you get your CFI there you should be able to get a job.

Take the aztec, save money and with the instructor being the DPE, no conflict of interest on techinque on checkride day, not saying he is gonna just give you the checkride ona silver platter.

I'd second the Aztec as well.

They cost about the same an hour (instructor included in), and you get the added benefit of having an examiner to do the teaching.

You will be assured (should atleast) good, thorough, quality instruction, and it could also help build a repore with the examiner as well - which could always come back to help you some day if a need arises.

Your flight school shouldn't frown to hardly down upon you for it - especially given the gear up on the 310 recently. Just tell them you want to get it over with now, and don't want to wait for the 310 to come back online.

Just curious, why are you doing the multi/commercial first and then adding on the single? Might it not be a bit cheaper to get the commercial in a single and then add on the multi?

Guitar Guy said:
Just curious, why are you doing the multi/commercial first and then adding on the single? Might it not be a bit cheaper to get the commercial in a single and then add on the multi?

My sentiments exactly. You already stated that you where going to instruct anyways, so why spend the extra money. Besides at this stage of the game you are learning how to fly. At this stage no one really cares if you fly an aztec, 310, seminole, or apache. Save money, stay in a single, and then get your CFI, CFII, MEI and let someone else pay your multi time.

Can your instructor also be your examiner? I thought I saw something in the past prohibiting this, cannot find it now. Maybe it was for part 141.

I did the Comm/Multi first, and it worked great. Instead of the 7 hour multi rating, you have 25 or so in the machine. Feels more comfortable come checkride time, and you'll be a better multi pilot. Most of us had to scrounge for the mutli time anyway, so if you got resources, go for it.

Latest resources

Back