• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

What would you do?

• Take the job and hope for best.

Votes: 66 90.4%
  • Turn it down, I'll get furloughed anyway.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Keep instructing til something better comes along.

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters

spike

First job opportunity.
Wholly owned by usair company that has agreed to j4j.
Ground school starts in 2 weeks.

J4J

Probably, I'd take it, but what is J4J?

PS-Take the job. You never know when opportunity will knock again. Also, after you get past training, you'll be part of the club. That will help you get back in if you're laid off.

Last edited:
J4J = Jets for jobs

I'd take the job offer, unless you have something better waiting for you. It does seem though, that the US Airways Express carriers are very unstable, but you could do much worse than a job with them.

Good luck.

Take the job but kep looking. Plan to be furloughed when J4J kicks in and a Mainline US Airways pilot takes your job when they replace your TP with a jet....or maybe Alpa will do the right thing and fix that fiasco.

Take the job ...

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

"It's always easier to find a job when you have a job."

Both tired cliches my dad gave me when I was younger, but there's a lot to them. Take the job, get the 121 turbine experience. If you don't like it, you can always look around for a better job and move on when an opportunity arises. At least in the meantime, you'll be earning a living (sort of).

To be pessimistic, say you go, then you get sacked as a result of some future development (J4J or otherwise). You'll be right back where you are now, except that you'll have some experience to add to the resume, still making you more attractive to other potential employers.

There are no guarantees in life, and especially in aviation. Thirty years ago, nobody thought Eastern, Braniff, Pan Am, or TWA would be T-U.

In any case, good luck and fly safe ...

R

Ditto all the above. There are some employers of flight instructors that look highly on having passed 121 ground school/sim training. Even if get kicked to the curb there are places that would be intrested in hiring you.

I would love to tell you to turn them down and keep instructing. However, if you aren't going to have to sacrifice to much by going to work there (moving, pay cuts, etc.), I'd probably take it and hope for the best. I currently work for the company you are thinking about. Things are very unstable right now. As far as hiring goes, the last 3 classes have already been started, furloughed, and now seem to be back in class again. All this in 2 months! We also just closed a base, and others are rumored to close. The entire fleet of turboprops have their leases up in 3 years, with the first ones going the end of this year. US Air has said that it will not renew the leases on any turboprop aircraft. The jets will be flown by 50% furloughed US Air pilots, so getting on the jet will be difficult. Having said all that, at least its a foot in the door. One piece of advice........take this job only after exhausting your chances at Comair, Air Wisconsin, or ACA. Good luck.

Re: Take the job ...

flywithruss said:
Thirty years ago, nobody thought Eastern, Braniff, Pan Am, or TWA would be T-U.
Like my dad said about aviation careers--he was with EAL from '66 to the strike, never crossed the line--"no matter what decision you make, you'll be wrong."

There is an awful lot to be said for being hired by an airline. If absolutely nothing else, it'll look good on a resume. Keeping looking, but take it.

One caveat: if you have to pay for training or sign a long-term training contract, forget it. Wait for something more solid...bearing in mind that you could still be wrong, and the carrier in question might turn into the next Southwest.

Latest resources

Back