What would YOU do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey, Skydiver . . .

Glad to see that I'm not the only one in the world to take years to finish ratings on the pay-as-you-go method. It is NOT effective.

Definitely, Earl, consider leaving full-time work for full-time training. You'll learn more and learn it better, and save money and time in the long run.

Thanks Socal

Given the fast-paced nature of the ATP program, what happens if you have trouble on a specific maneuver? Heck, it probably took me 20-30 times during my PPL training to get comfortable with short and soft-field landings, so I know there are going to be times where I need additional time to increase my proficiency. Does the ATP curriculum allow for this?

one other ATP question...

(sorry, my previous response was accidentally added before I could finish the post! :mad: )

I'm not sure if you're at the liberty to answer this, but typically what is the "graduation rate" of the ATP program? Of the pilots that entered the same time you did, how many made it through?

And in regards to my question from the previous post, if indeed you are allowed additional time to practice a maneuver you're having trouble with, is that additional time charged in excess of the total cost of the program (which I believe is somewhere around $31K?)

Thanks again for taking the time to answer these questions...very helpful

HI Earl. The last post was accidentally under a co-worker's login. Ummmm... everyone I knew graduated. As far as getting things down like short field and such, what your instructor will probably do is take you up for your last bit of time and do only the things that you need work on. The Seminole is a great plane to fly. MY first couple, probably 4-5 landings actually were a bit rough, but once you get that plane wired it's easier to land than most single engine airplanes. In fact the hardest checkride was the single engine commercial and instructor at the end of the course, because you get used to flying the seminole. But I did in fact know a student who had a hard time with some check rides and needed extra time, it will be more usually 170/hr... but that is in an immergency. The people at ATP would rather refund the remainder of your tuition and let you finish up at another school than push you into another bust. You will be challenged, but you get so immersed in aviation by living with other students like yourself, that you are constantly learning. It also motivates you to realize that you are not alone in your "chance" to do what you always wanted to do. The ages of the students at my location was from 20-37, with three of eight being 37. You will find that with this high intesity flying, you will be more comfortable with checkrides and such because you have spent so much time recently in a plane. Rather than 2-3 days a week.

Latest resources

Back