• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptBuzzard

I'm back!
Here is my situation:

I was hired by a regional in Dec for a Jan class. The class was postponed for a while. Since it has been two months, it may not happen for a while. I still hope to hear something good soon. I do keep in contact with them, so they know that I am interested when (if) the class gets started.

I quit my good paying job where I had a lot of seniority, and the company is laying people off, so I cannot get my job back there. I had full medical, dental, life insurance and other great benefits.

I was also flying about 50 hours a month for a part 135 company. I had quit there too and was given 6 days notice about my groundschool at the airline being canceled. I did get my job back flying and through a few weeks ago I was still flying about the same. Now they have basically put me on call and don't have anything scheduled anytime soon. They won't qualify me in any other airplanes because they think I am on my way out soon still. I may be or may not be. Yes if the regional I was hired by calls, I will go, but let's be realistic at this point it won't happen for a while. In about two weeks I won't be able to pay the bills. I have put off looking for something on the side because I had money in savings and what I was making flying has lasted me this long, but now the money is gone. I also was hoping that I would get the call for training. I am 28 years old and for the first time in my life, I have no medical benefits, and basically no job. All of this because I took the risk to go to work somewhere else. In the end it'll probably be worth it still.

My current job won't lay me off because they probably don't want to deal with unemployment and since I am not full time I wouldn't get granted anyway. Also, I am in my grace (7th) month and am due for a checkride with the chief pilot. I am sure that they are just going to let my 135 currency go and then let me go. They won't ivest another penny in me.

Here is my question (sorry it took so long to get to).

Since I am on call with this company, it is hard to get another job to pay the bills that will be flexible since I have no idea when I will fly. I need a job and should I quit this flying job so I can survive? Realistically they will probably only call me a few times a month now since they have hired several people in the last couple of months. I don't know what to do. I know that I need to survive, but also don't want have that void in my logbook. Instructing is out of the question in this region. The flight schools are really hurting. The one I used to work at is weeks away from closing the doors. What would you do?

Walmart, minor league baseball, try something else. Sounds like you need to get another aviation job, forget the regional, you now have the doors of the world open to you. Put the regional deal behind you and press on. You are right about the 135,they will not spend another dollar on you unless you are willing to commit yourself again to them for a time. Welcome to the real world of aviation.This is what makes aviation exciting, you may wind up flying a 207 in Bethel, Alaska or a DC-3 in New Zealand. Or you might just wind up here in FLL flying a 402 back and forth to the islands. All of the above are great fun and a great way to build experience and become a more rounded pilot.

Last edited:
Been there a number of times. You do what you must do.

You're going to have to decide if the regional life is for you, and if you're willing to make the sacrifice to wait for an entry level job with dirt poor wages and a shaky future with respect to security.

If your 135 job is stable, you might just be better off committing to them and progressing within that company.

You said you had seniority with your other job. Was that a flying job as well?

My other job was aviation related, but not flying. My current 135 job will not let me progress. I guess that when I had initially put in (and I will say I gave them more than a two week notice) my notice to quit it pi$$ed them off. They are a company that does not require a written training contract, but only a verbal comittment. Now in these days when a person wants to move up to another level of flying when times are tough, a verbal comittment might not work in aviation. I also when hired was supposed to be full time and then was pushed to part time. I had put in a notice at my other job and then had them reverse the notice. I had time. This time, I had worked my last day and signed off on the termination papers and they submitted them right away ( this being at my non flying job.) The truth is I have a feeling that my current job will let my 135 currency lapse and then I will be out of that job completely. I am looking for other things in aviation, but with only about 1600tt, 600ME I am not what most companies want right now. I will still press on, but in the mean time I need to survive too.

On a lighter note, I can always do the fast food thing. They are even tough to get hired on to and the single-burner training is intense I hear.

Clean sheet of paper

I agree with Mr. S7. Forget about anything happening soon with the commuter that pooled you. Wipe the slate clean. Try to get a new, permanent position. Your 135 letter is a plus and puts you ahead of all the flight instructors who are trying to get commuter jobs. I'd also recommend getting your ATP to improve your quals still further.

This thread from the Regional side of the board has the latest on burner hiring. :)

I agree with you all. I am trying to start fresh. I actually have been ever since the notification on my ground school. I am networking with friends at regionals. I could have had an interview at another freight job right in the city I live in, but was out of state covering a run for the company I currently work for. I responded too late. I had no idea that I could have interviewed until it was after the fact. I have been in touch with that company so hopefully something could pan out there. Who knows, but with the industry the way it is, there's no telling what will happen tomorrow. Things are definitely different than the day I started to learn to fly. Someday things will turn around, but as for now, anyone with a flying job should appreciate it, whether you are instructing, flying freight, skydivers, airlines (even the so called bad regionals out there that I might add I'd probably fly for at this point). Be happy with what you have, because when they are gone you do appreciate what you had. I had a good job. It wasn't the best place to work, but it was flying and a job. Not everyone will fly a 757, but flying is flying.

Before 2001, even I liked the idea of an FO position at a place like Comair. By June I hadn't accumulated the instruction hours I had hoped for, and after 9-11 the writing was on the wall. Like Avbug, I don't understand why you would trash a decent charter job in this environment to go with a regional. Let others learn from this.

Now, you can pick up and move on. Have you done the ATP? I'm working on it now, having passed 1500 hours recently. It should be a help to you. Network. Send resumes. Make calls. Keep looking.

Don't worry about the single burner training, just remember: dead patty, dead burner, identify (no sizzle), verify (drop of water on burner) and flip onto the good burner. :D

Latest resources

Back