What would You Do???????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Nappy

Posted this earlier on the corporate board, just wanted to see what you "majors" guys think.

A question for the board.
I recently got a new corp. job which pays well (top 10% of NBAA), is on very good equipment, and has potential for growth. It required me to move away from a home of 10 years and the wife and kids are not happy with the move so far.
Yesterday, a friend who's been trying to get me an interview at his airline(not a regional), called and said that he was told that I will be getting a call next week for the next interview group.
If and I know its a big if, but if I make it through the interview and am offered a job with this airline it would mean a cut in pay of more than 60% in the first year and probably at least 4 years until the salaries equalize. But we'd also be able to move back home (same house/schools even).

What would you do?

Thanks

:confused:

Stay at home!

You'll always regret missing that baseball game, or the graduation from elementary, or being there when the dishwasher flooded and your wife needed you!!!

Or you can take the better pay, and listen about it on the phone......

You might as well interview. Hey, it's all moot until you actually get the job offer... Make the decision once you have the offer in hand - until then it is all speculation....

Otherwise, consider yourself fortunate that you are flying at all...

Good luck

Gotta tell ya, I was recently furloughed (01-07-03) and thought I'd go for a corporate job, but I've been seriously bitten by the airline bug and don't think I could honestly take a corporate job unless I exhausted every last resource on another job in the majors. Am I nuts? Maybe, but there is nuthin like a job flying a Boeing or Airbus!:cool:

Perhaps your asking the wrong people. Nobody on this message board has the exact same priorities, desires, etc. as you do.

I would first ask God (I understand this may not be your "thing") and then I would ask my wife what she thinks/wants and then ask my children (even the youngest have been know to have some rather profound answers).

Been there done that..

After coming home from being out of the country for 22 days straight and sitting down to watch two birthdays and Christmas on video tape i figured it out..

I left a major corp job flying very nice stuff to avoid having to answer my five year olds question.."When are you going to get a better job so you can be at home with me on my birthday"

Even today the pain of those words haunt me..

Mike

Corp Flying

Its all about what is important to you. I would love a chance to fly for a major, much better quality of life, however under today's situation, I'm very happy I simply have a flying job! There is nothing worse than being Uncle Daddy, it sucks. Never home, always gone, Telephone calls to see what is happening at home. For a single guy, a corp flying job would be a dream come true, for a family man one word, suck!

I feel that I should qualify my previous post from last nite. I went thru the never being home with the family when my kids were very young and I was a new hire at my airline. After 3 months of it, my wife and I decided to move to my crew base, and for us that probably same everyone's sanity, to say the least. Well, once again I am looking for a job. The advantage I have this time is that my kids are grown up, one is off to college this fall (if I can afford it), and my wife and remaining teenager are willing to move or stay, whichever seems to keep everyone happy. I'm pretty lucky in that respect. I was on reserve for over 11 years, but made most of my kids activities, which is more than I can say for many of my non airline friends who travelled a lot for their companies. There is no doubt in my mind that family is the most important thing. If you decide to commute to a job, stay involved with your family every way you can, even if you've been gone for 10 days and you are pooped. Just think how tired your spouse is, being a single parent during that same 10 days. Good luck!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back