Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VW Pilot

MMM...PIGEON CASSEROLE
I was at a FBO that I used to frequently fly from....(no longer) I overheard a couple of flight instructors talking about how they once logged false hours in their books....this made me feel uneasy. It seemed that As I was there all the time and I have seen alot of crazy stuff, that it was ok for them to say this in front of me...like..ah he won't say nothing....(Mind you, these guys are back woods country guys)which at the moment I didn't. I just kind of played along. But It worried me that they are teaching new students and they really don't have the experience they claim to have....besides that, the FBO's rental aircraft are totally unsafe and they skimp on maintenance all the time....I left there never to return but I feel a bit worried for future students who may seek them for learning to fly....should I call the FSDO? FEDs? should I not get involved? I could possibly prove the aircraft are crappy but what about the instructors?....It just seems very wrong....I previosly heard someone saying this about the instructors but I wasn't present at the time so I couldn't say anything. So I disreguarded. But when I heard this coming from their mouths....my stomach got butterflies....what would you do?

As much as I would like to think otherwise, I believe this type of thing may be more common than many would like to believe. Logbooks are largely based on the honor system, and it takes a pretty low life to disrespect and take advatage of that. I think that a vast majority of pilots are decent and honest people, and the trust factor is huge. I don't know if I would report them or not - probably not because who knows what the real truth actually is. Instead I would just use this as a tool for you to advocate NOT padding the book. As you are around flying longer you will probably be tempted at least once to pad your book. Just remember this to help you SAY NO and to tell others to say no!

Just keep receipts and proof of your own flight times, and hope that when you guys go look for a job, they can't verify flight time, while you can.
In a fair world, employers ought to verify flight times...

If they're part 141, the FSDO could have a field day going through the training fleet records, instructor records etc.

Last edited:
Yeah i keep all my reciepts...I still ahve my first discovery flight reciept....I guess All I can do is warn other to stay away from this FBO....Thanks for the input.

if the aircraft log books (hobbs ect) has the CFI and flight time on it just match them up with the instructors log book. If you start seeing 1.2 in the aircraft book and 2.3 in the instructors book or flights that are not in both books there is your proof. So maybe give the fsdo a call and voice your concern they are teaching students to pad times.

The FSDO needs to look into this. These are instructors and need to be held to high standards. It also sounds like the maintenance of their planes needs to be examined as well.

You are asking "what do i do". What options are you considering. I would say unless they are operating recklessly and directly endangering peoples lives you may want to pretend you didn't hear them and mind your own business.

They passed a checkride for CFI so they are safe in the plane as an instructor. They are padding their logbooks like morons, and that will get picked up when they try and make the move into the airlines, or wherever. The people that do the hiring can smell B.S a mile away, and they will have a very tough time getting a job.

Last edited:
When I was coming up as a new CFI, I got more recommendations from guys already up the line flying corporate/charter TO DO this very thing. I think it happens more than anyone would like to believe. The excuse was always something along the lines of just boost them now, youll catch up with it down the road.

I wont do it. I have to live with myself and sleep at night and I wont do it.

I interviewed with a company this year who I caught boosting my times on my resume. I just happened to see it on the desk and realized that my numbers were way off, like 200 hours more than I really had. I asked and was told not to worry about it, no big deal, just did that for the insurance company. Now we all know how retarded the insurance companies can be, but this made me out to be a liar. If something ever happened or someone checked, it would look like I was the one who falsified my resume. Like they would fess up...

This experience also made me rethink sending my resume in Word format. All this company did was load it up and make whatever changes they wanted and presto!

You also need to consider if a company is willing to do that, what other records and documents are they altering??

....(Mind you, these guys are back woods country guys)

I have BIG, AMAZING news for you....it isn't any better in the "better" big city schools.
Oh, BTW, even this country boy from North Georgia noticed that you spelled "disregarded" wrong.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
i have two questions...
what will you do if someone is hurt?

how will feel if someone is hurt or killed?

err to the side of safety. now that you overheard you're involved. in a matter of speaking.

let your conscience be your guide

Latest resources

Back