• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What would you do (FARs)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Also, any inoperative REQUIRED equipment makes the airplane unairworthy, and thus illegal to fly unless there is relief under FAR 91.2?? or under the provisions of an MEL. I'm too lay to look up the FAR, but it is there.

100LL... Again! said:
Also, any inoperative REQUIRED equipment makes the airplane unairworthy, and thus illegal to fly unless there is relief under FAR 91.2?? or under the provisions of an MEL. I'm too lay to look up the FAR, but it is there.
91.213(d) for operations without a MEL.

Airway said:
Me and a private student finished pre-flight and we got into the airplane to get it started and for a lesson, and on start, the fuel quantity indicator for the right tank failed. We had just had the tanks topped off, so we were definitely full and fine for our flight, but I refused to take the plane, which pissed off our mechanic. We just took another 172 (easy enough).

The FARs state that a fuel quantity indicator indicating the amount of fuel in "each tank" is required, however, if you want to be technical, it doesn't say "an operating fuel gauge indicator" (I don't buy that stuff). I refused to take the plane not because I couldn't safely fly (I knew we had full tanks, and we would go up for what, 1.4 hours), but I did it to set an example for my student, and stay within the law.

But, I'm asking basically out of curiosity, what would you do? I took shoot from the mechanic and I basically just sat there and nodded my head while he proceeded to be a jackass about it.

As far as I know, for VFR day, a fuel quantity indicator is required (unless I'm missing something).

Airway.

if you developed a fuel leak in that tank how would you know? you made a good decision.

flight sans W&B on board

On the same vein... but switching gears... anyone been pressured to fly an a/c that didn't have W&B on board? CFI gave me a big speech about his time in the military and how they had "latitude" to get the job done. Said it was just a piece of paper. I thought not having it in board a training A/C meant the airplane was unairworthy in the eyes of the FAA.
thoughts? and no, I didn't do it.

Hogan said:
On the same vein... but switching gears... anyone been pressured to fly an a/c that didn't have W&B on board? CFI gave me a big speech about his time in the military and how they had "latitude" to get the job done. Said it was just a piece of paper. I thought not having it in board a training A/C meant the airplane was unairworthy in the eyes of the FAA.
thoughts? and no, I didn't do it.
You did well.

'Sled

Hi!

I know a pilot who recently flew out of a large metro area. At about 6,000', ATC told them to "Maintain 280 kts for spacing." They called back and were told the same thing, so they followed ATC instructions.

I talked to an ATC app/dep controller who said it is legal for us to fly over 250 <10K if requested by ATC, and then another pilot who said it's not.

I do realize that they both could be right, because the FAA does a very poor job of consistently interpreting their own regs throughout the system.

Opinions? I'd especially like to hear from controllers.

Cliff
YIP

I don't think that ATC may direct you to deviate from a regulation. In the Houston area, there was an experiment for a while to delete speed restrictions, but that didn't come from Houston ATC, that came down from the FAA regional office.

erj-145mech said:
I don't think that ATC may direct you to deviate from a regulation.
Yep...ATC isn't the administrator. Only the administrator can authorize the deviations for airspeed.

I know ATC can authorize certain deviations (flying in, through or over class C without Mode-C...that kinda thing), but you have to give them a pretty decent notice.

As for airspeed, I'm pretty sure the language says the administrator has to authorize the deviations....too tired to look it up though.

-mini

Last edited:
anyone been pressured to fly an a/c that didn't have W&B on board? CFI gave me a big speech about his time in the military and how they had "latitude" to get the job done.

Never do anything you can't defend in a court of law.

"Maintain 280 kts for spacing."

ATC cannot allow you to deviate from the FAR's in this case, we sometimes get this request in LAX when we are past the US boundry, in this case it is legal.:)

Latest resources

Back