What was Airtran thinking?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

relief tube

I've never been one to start a fire on this board, but this was just stupid and needed to be addressed.

You better bring your credit card the next time you want to jumpseat on Airspam. The first JS gets on, free, like every other carrier so graciously does, but if you're the number 2 guy, they charge you 25 bucks plus tax just to catch a ride home.

I said the heck with that, and waited another hour for a delta flight, that I got on for free. What a deal!

What a joke. Now I know technically such a system gives you more flexibility than the few remaining airlines that allow only 1 JS, but to make money on pilots just trying to get to work, the penny-pincher who thought up that idea should be ashamed.

This is not a hit against the pilot group, but your management that is showing no class in trying to turn a profit in an area it shouldn't even be touching.

The funny part is some stupid marketing campaign in ATL has an Airtran fuel truck driving around painted with the saying (dont quote me) "Other airlines use the same fuel, so why do they charge more?"

Well they charge more because they charge other pilots just to sit in their open seats. A very sad advance in the race to the bottom.

BTW, that satellite radio they have on board, not even half the channels worked.

Get over it man, this topic has been discussed to death here. Given the options, you can always choose to use another airline. I'd rather pay $5 to get home/work than get stuck because the airline only takes 1 or to jumpseaters.

relief tube said:
I've never been one to start a fire on this board, but this was just stupid and needed to be addressed.

You better bring your credit card the next time you want to jumpseat on Airspam. The first JS gets on, free, like every other carrier so graciously does, but if you're the number 2 guy, they charge you 25 bucks plus tax just to catch a ride home.

I said the heck with that, and waited another hour for a delta flight, that I got on for free. What a deal!

What a joke. Now I know technically such a system gives you more flexibility than the few remaining airlines that allow only 1 JS, but to make money on pilots just trying to get to work, the penny-pincher who thought up that idea should be ashamed.

This is not a hit against the pilot group, but your management that is showing no class in trying to turn a profit in an area it shouldn't even be touching.

The funny part is some stupid marketing campaign in ATL has an Airtran fuel truck driving around painted with the saying (dont quote me) "Other airlines use the same fuel, so why do they charge more?"

Well they charge more because they charge other pilots just to sit in their open seats. A very sad advance in the race to the bottom.

BTW, that satellite radio they have on board, not even half the channels worked.

Old news, it's been like this for at least the last 2 years. It depends on the gate agent and the crew. I've been charged and asked by the captain if I had to pay, when I told him yes, he said "check the podium when we get there, there will be a refund waiting for you". When I arrived, he again told me to check up at the podium. As I was inquiring, here came the FO with $30 in case they didn't have a refund slip. Sure enough, they had the refund waiting for me. So, don't bash the crews for this, it's the gate agents that can or can't make the difference (as usual). And thanks to the crew that helped me out.

relief tube said:

Do you know how many times I've watched a half empty Delta 757 or 767 push back without me on board because I got beat out by a jumpseater or better yet a Fed!

Yeah....Delta's everyones hero being one of the last majors not to have any type of multiple jumpseat policy.

Piker

Relief Tube,

Get over it. At least you could have gotten on if there was a seat. Think of it as an ID90 without the hassle. Heck, I've had to buy $12.50 passes on CAL to get to work because they only take one JS, and I fly feed for them. Luckily that's going to change, hopefully within the next week or so.

Do I like it? Of course not, but it's my decision to commute, therefore I have no reason to b!tch, and neither do you.

Latest resources

Back