• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
commonality

go commando

seriously though...
i didn't wear a suit, just pants, shirt, tie, nothing fancy to my 121 inquisition

can't even remember what colors they were, everyone else in the interview class thought i was the 'mole' planted to watch them cause i looked different than all the rest of the automotons
but hey, not to brag, i got the job most of them didn't

I wore a regular dark grey suit to my interview, the interviewers never said anything about it or appeared to look at it.

Wear the suit that you feel most comfortable in. I had a nice charcoal gray suit that I had worn to several special events, including my wedding and a couple of interviews. When I had another interview coming up, I found that the cat had pulled the suit off the hanger and pissed all over it. (Anyone need a fur stole?) The only other suit I had was double breasted, olive green.

Maybe the green suit would have been fine but I did not feel comfortable in it for an interview so I went to the Men's Wearhouse and got another charcoal gray one for $150. It was stricktly for piece of mind. The last thing I wanted to think about during the interview was how I looked in my suit. Remember, you want to project an aura of confidence. I've seen guys wear all color suits. It's all about how you present yourself.

As far as ties go, a friend suggested to wear the colors of the company your interviewing with. With some exceptions, like Contintental Express, that'll be blue and red.

Bottom line, wear what makes you feel good and confident.

Stop wasting anytime even thinking about what tie or shade of blue. Where a suit. Gray, tan, black, blue,brown, olive green, stripe, no breast, triple breast. Do you really think you have a better chance of being hired with a red tie rather than a yellow or green one?
I interviewed with 4 121 operations and saw every combination above and the people with the best personalities and most knowledge got the offers.

When I interviewed at Mesaba which is the job offer I accepted there were 15 of us no 2 matched a good mix of 7 CFI's, 3 135, 3 corporate, 2 Military. 6 of us got offers. Any guesses.

Both military guys, whom I would have put my money on, bombed the sim and were gone. The Frasca must not have flown like the F-18.

In the end myself 3 other cfi's and 1 corp. girl and 1 135 guy had the job.

Long story but, study and get some sim time is moral of the story. Wear any suit you like.

Regardless of what suite you decide to wear, remember this.

To the person doing the interview, when they look at you they are looking at you with this in mind, "This is the very best this person can look." With that in mind prepare yourself and your wardrobe accordingly.

Shine your shoes, get a haircut (3 days prior to interview), manicure your nails (no, not polish, just clean and trim), I'm sure you have the idea.

Stand tall, be self assured, not cocky.

Smile, relax, and be polite.

Good Luck

I was offered a job with comair about six years ago. Didn't take it because I couldn't afford the $11,000 price tag. My point is I was soo poor at the time, I couldn't afford a suit either. I showed up in khakis (sp?), dress shoes and a nice shirt with tie. EVERYONE else looked like clones from the pilot factory. I guess what I'm saying is I got the job offer because they liked me....not my clothes.

OldManPilot said:

Stand tall, be self assured, not cocky.

Good Luck

not cocky??? this is still a predominantly pilot group, isn't it???

*looks around bewildered*

(i'm kidding, of course. somewhat.)

Latest resources

Back