• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What to wear on an interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What kind of company are you going to interview with? If it's a Part 121 carrier I would recommend reading "Checklist for Success" by Cheryl Cage. There are many fine interview prep books out there, but this is the one I used and it educated me. I was a total noob as far as the airline world goes, and I sense you are in the same boat. It's available online or in many local pilot shops. It takes some time to really prep yourself, so the sooner you get the book the better. It's an eye opener.

Good luck!

Had a guy interview here wearing dress shoes, khaki dockers, dress shirt, navy sport coat. 88 on the written, over 30 on the sim, aced the tech interview, didn't get the job. He was told that he looked too casual for the interview. You are looking to advance on your chosen career path. Buy a suit and lose the goatee.

My last interview...I tried on my old suits, and neither one fit. I never realized things could shrink so much from sitting in the closet, but apparently so. It was short notice, I was broke, so I bought a suit at a thrift store for fifty bucks. I had it dry cleaned, and bought a new white shirt and a tie at walmart.

I was offered the job, but turned it down.

My old suitcoat jacket was a western levis tweed sportjacket, in blue. I wore that with whatever seemed to fit beneath it, and I was offered the job every time. I've worn suits to other interviews, and sometimes been offered, sometimes not.

One interview lasted about three weeks, during which time everyone was made to live together (and like mushrooms, kept in the dark). I was told before hand that if I showed up with a suit, I'd be canned on the spot. Stupid me, I packed one just in case. I didn't get fired out of the process, but it did cause a look of disgust, or two.

And then there was the interview five years ago...I walked across the field to ask if they needed a relief pilot for some spare work. They said they were busy, come back in the morning. I came back and did a quick demo hop, and next thing I knew I took a leave of absence and was on full time with the new guy. No suit, no tie, no time to think about it, and the rest was a blur.

If you're interviewing for an airline or a corporation, be a cookie cutter. They like that. You might not, but you're not doing the hiring. If it's SWA, wear heart-covered boxers and be sure to show them during the interview while you dance on the table. Otherwise, be as unremarkable as possible, except with your performance accross the interview table, in the sim, and on paper. Your appearance and demeanor should scream CONSERVATIVE in big, capital letters.

Personally, I never want to appear or be overanxious for a job. Even when desperate (does that ever happen?). I do wear the odd item that isn't conformist; a Sears Craftsman tie. Some lapel pin. I have a moustache, and do NOT shave it for an interview. That little hint that yes, I'm here for the interview, and yes, I don't NEED this job...I can't say that's a draw or a knock against me in the interview, but most of the time I get offered the job. I may not accept it, or I may, but I still generally get offered the job if I make it to the interview. I may be way off base, but my take is that an interviewer may be a little more comfortable when considering a potential employee who isn't slobbering all over himself in anticipation of getting the job.

Latest resources

Back