What to expect in first few hours of instruction

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

William Holiday

Hi, I know a young kid who wants to take up flying. He went to an Instructor and the guy just seems to be joy riding. What would a serious Instructor be teaching in the first few hours or so of instruction. Also what should he be looking at in order to get ready for solo flight.

Demonstrate simple tasks, S&L, turns, etc, then have the student repeat until some level of mastery is obtained. Then move on to the next task that combines simple tasks into more complex tasks. Enforce light control touch and always being in trim, by having them let go of the control on a regular basis. Start working the radios on the first instructional flight. Give home work assignments, quiz on home work, chew your butts off if they did not study, telling them they are never go to learn to fly if they don't prepare for the flight. They should be working there butt off every minute in the airplane, they should fell challenged,. If they get good a something, introduce something else.

BTW: Nice post one of the first real aviation posts I have seen in months here on FI.

Pilotyip has it about right.
Let's assume you're talking about beyond an intro or "discovery" flight.
Typically, the student would be left-seat from day one. Beginning lessons, say through the first 5 or so, just to list most of the elements:
flight and engine controls, cockpit instruments, pre-flight inspection, taxiing, run-up, airport procedures to include taxi, radio, pattern entry, take-off, climb, s&l flight, turns, climbs, descents, trim use, even intro to basic stalls, ground reference maneuvers..................personally, I'd try to be hands-off as much as possible, except for demonstrating, and final landing flare. Sound about right?
One caveat, you mentioned a "young kid?" (I'm getting to where that might mean anybody under 35 or 40, but, that's another thread!) How young? There may be, of course, a certain amount of marking time for student pilots well under 16, as they can't solo till 16, or get their PPL till 17, so, for, say, a 13 yr. old, it could be a question of how fast to proceed; however, that kind of logistical planning should be discussed up front with the student and/or parents.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info thus far, seems his current instructor is not making the grade. He thinks he wants this for a career, so he is really motivated to get sht done. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Latest resources

Back