• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

turboshark

Was that to FAST?
hello all,

so whats the deal with what a new hire can really make at net jets? i know the new contract is about $40k but whats to be expected 1-2 years of service with nj and overtime?

thanks again..

With holiday & overtime I'm doing 15% above base year to date. But plan 10% to be safe. Remember you'll be on the higher reserve pay for the months you're in training. If you stay on reserve you'll easily clear over 50K the first year. Don't forget the average $575/month in per diem and the fact you don't pay for any benefits.

AirBear

So is it your choice to stay on reserve rather than the 7/7 or does the company eventually make you go 7/7? You obviously work a bit more on reserve, but are the trips shorter than 7 days? Thanks...

TankerDriver said:
So is it your choice to stay on reserve rather than the 7/7 or does the company eventually make you go 7/7? You obviously work a bit more on reserve, but are the trips shorter than 7 days? Thanks...

The minimum percentage of pilots in any fleet/seat combination on the reserve schedule is 10%. If the number of volunteers for reserve falls below 10% in any fleet/seat combo, then the company can junior-assign reserve. On the other end of the scale, the maximum participation in the reserve schedule is 40%. I don't know if any fleet/seat is running 40% on the reserve but for the last quarter, most (but not all) fleet/seat combos were not requiring anyone to be junior assigned to the reserve.

As for life on the reserve, hopefully some others can chime in, as I'm a 7/7 guy. From the reserve guys I've flown with, sometimes they get used for a 7-day tour and sometimes they'll be out for less. Several guys commented that they are starting to get used for more workdays per month lately.

The number of days you will work per month on the reserve schedule seems to vary according to fleet. The most they can work you is 18. I seem to be consistently working about 16 days a month max on the reserve. I have seen a mix of tours with the shortest being 4 days. Most of my tours are 6 day tours it seems like, it just depends on how I place my hard days off. I am getting more days at home than I thought I would.

I have been on reserve since I came here and it isnt bad at all. While I would like the certainty of knowing when my days off are on the 7/7 I dont want to take the pay cut. My average days worked each month is probably 15. This month I am only doing 12 (not normal but no sick time involved - just good bidding).

There is usually one 7 day tour each month (can be 2, just depends on how you bid your H days) and the rest seem to be 4-6 day tours. They used to publish your TENTATIVE schedule the month before and were more or less sticking to it but they have since stopped doing that though you can still call and get it. This month was the first time they totally rearranged my schedule for the last half of the month from the tenative. Doesnt happen often but it can happen. All in all I have no real motivation to bid over to the 7/7 but I might change my mind at some point.

Thanks for the info. I'm just trying to figure out if this is a good suppliment to the Air National Guard. Anyone in the guard?

Tankerdriver,

NJA is VERY military friendly. You will never have a problem getting time off for drill, training or deployments. As far as the reserve schedule goes, It has been my experience that I will generally work 3 tours a month lasting 5, 6 and 7 (equals 18) days.

I have a couple friends in the air force reserves here and they both have no problems with getting the time they need off for military duties. They both said though that the company prefers you to be on 7 + 7 if you are military since it is easier to plan around and they hope most guys will try to keep their military days on the days off from NJ.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back