• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What to do with fuel after testing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you guys are really worried about an ounce of fuel on the ground, you are crazy. Evaporation will have it gone before it could ever be a factor to the precious environment. Have you seen the gallons of jet fuel that drips out of each jet on a Navy hornet base every day?

Thanks for everyone's responses!

Has anyone heard of any actions taken for dumping the fuel on the ramp?

Thanks again for any replies.

Your flight school or FBO is suppose to provide catch basins or a place to properly dispose of contaminated fuel. If you test the fuel and there aren't any contaminates, it is safe to pour it back into one of the wing tanks. If you do this, be sure your fuel tester is clean and free of dirt and deposits before doing this. Try not to dump the fuel onto the ground or ramp. I know it is just a small amount but I've seen some sump the tanks onto the ramp...the FBO's management were fired. Welcome back to flying!!

Since the EPA has taken a strong issue with the process of dumping the fuel on the ramp, the FAA now overlooks the process of dumping the fuel tested back into the tanks.

The FAA never condemned the practice, nor openly discouraged it. Many instructors and pilots, however, (myself included) do discourage it. The FAA isn't "overlooking" anything, as there is nothing to overlook.

Has anyone heard of any actions taken for dumping the fuel on the ramp?

Absolutely. The EPA made an example of Embry Riddle Aeronautical University by fining the university just shy of 25,000 dollars for pouring fuel sump samples on the ramp. ERAU, in turn, agreed to produce a public education program discouraging open disposal of fuel in exchange for the fines being dropped.

www.secureav.com/Comment-AMCC-V.b-Environmental.pdf

You can read the results at the above location, with the following excerpt concerning the specific action against and by ERAU:

Beyond the health, safety, and ethical reasons to exercise environmentally sound fueling practices are serious legal consequences for polluting. Consider, for example, the high-profile case at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Florida. The University was fined $24,999 by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection for violating the Florida Resource Recovery and Management Act by failing “to implement a procedure to prevent the release of aviation fuel after inspecting for contaminants.” A Consent Order between the University and the government required Embry-Riddle to create fueling practices training materials, including a video. The Embry-Riddle matter likely foreshadows a trend: new and more far-reaching measures with strong penalties for aviation-related pollution.

If you cannot bring yourself to put it back into the plane, save it and put it in your car.

And destroy your catalytic converter in the process. Good idea.

I thought it to be an FAR and can't find that anywhere.

You cannot find it because there is not now, nor was there ever any such regulation in 14 CFR.

And destroy your catalytic converter in the process. Good idea.

that's why you save it for your Hot Rod....like a 1974 dodge sedan from mount prospect police auction. It has a 440 cubic inch plant and it was made BEFORE the catalytic converter...so it'll run good on regular gas. So is it the new avbug mobile or what?

in my case, I got a '68 red chevelle convertible that I bought brand new. It has 16,466 miles on it.

Your flight school or FBO is suppose to provide catch basins or a place to properly dispose of contaminated fuel.

I have flown at four flying clubs and FBO's in the last year. You say they are "suppose" to provide a proper way to dispose contaminated fuel. Not one has provided anything for this function. If they are "suppose" to provide such, where is the rule, reg, law that requires this to be available.

Thanks again for all involved with this issue.

So the state of Florida violated one of the, if not the largest slight schools in the country. Some non-binding "code of conduct" is referenced as some insight.

All what has been shared is that unless there is a specific state law or local rule in effect, dump away if you wish.

After careful consideration, unless there is an approved method of disposal near by, the ramp is where my contaminated fuel will lie.

Latest resources

Back