Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What to do with an Aeronautics Degree???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MarineGrunt

Will kill for peace.
I graduated last spring from UND with a degree in aeronautics. I am currently employed as a flight instructor, but I'm going to have to give that up soon when I move to SLC. So I guess my question is, is there any use for someone with an Aeronautics Degree (Professional Pilot), other than flying??? I've been searching for jobs in the SLC area an there's nada!

I don't want to give up flying or aviation, but it looks like I might not have a choice. Suggestion?

Thanx in advance!

Generally in a flying career, one moves where the work is. It's not often possible to move somewhere in the hopes of finding work.

What takes you to SLC?

avbug said:
Generally in a flying career, one moves where the work is. It's not often possible to move somewhere in the hopes of finding work.

What takes you to SLC?
Air National Guard. KC-135 slot, but I don't go to training until (at least) October next year, so I need to make a living and support a family in the mean time. Unfortunately, I will be required to give up my flying job here in WI and move to SLC in a few months for processing.

That must be the 151st?

Pilot slot, boomer, chief, or what? If you're getting a pilot slot, it shouldn't be an issue. The unit should have something for you to do, or failing that, in the meantime, visit Job Service and get something temporary.

Aviation degree transferable skills

Contrary to popular belief, there are a lot of things that you can do with your Aero Science degree. You took courses in English, technical writing, physics, flight phys, and meterology. Probably management and humanities as well. Any or all of this knowledge can be parlayed into a job.

You might be able to substitute teach. I recall that many of our Mesa students in Farmington, NM were substitute teachers. Granted, SLC has a bigger school system and may have more stringent requirements for substitute teachers, but you might check out being a sub.

A college degree, in and of itself, is a qualification. And, you have your CFI. What about checking into teaching juco or vo-tech ground school? You might have to obtain a state vocational teaching credential to do so. I got my Colorado credential nine years ago by documenting my experience, providing my certificates, and completing some paperwork. In the meantime, you might consider getting your ground instructor certificates. The writtens are the FIA and FII all over again, with more questions. Take these writtens, complete an 8710, take it and your written test reports to FSDO, and you will walk out with your AGI and IGI. Ground instructor certificates do not expire, although 14 CFR 61.217 sets forth requirements for staying current.

Once more, a college degree, by itself, is a qual. I'd look into any job where it would be applicable. You must also have some other work experience. Maybe you can apply to SkyWest or other airlines as a CSR. That is a proven way of getting your foot in the door for bigger and better things, if you know what I mean. ;)

Hope that helps. Good luck with your UPT and with finding work.

Last edited:
Bobbysamd is correct. There are many employers who have positions open, where the only qualification is that a 4 year degree can be shown. I worked for a manufacturing company, and many jobs had no specific prior training required.....just that a four year degree had been earned. Those jobs ranged from floor supervisor of an assembly line in the plant, to customer service representative, to field sales agents. The company trained the candidates hired, with their own methods.

avbug said:
That must be the 151st?

Pilot slot, boomer, chief, or what? If you're getting a pilot slot, it shouldn't be an issue. The unit should have something for you to do, or failing that, in the meantime, visit Job Service and get something temporary.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. It is a pilot slot with the 151st, and unfortunately, they don't have anything for me to do in the meantime. I tried all I could to work that out. None of my MOS's (jobs) in the Marine Corps transfer over to the Guard.

Thanks for all the advice...

Does anyone think it would be worth starting my A&P? The Guard will probably pick up the tab for it if I go for an associates degree...

Getting an A&P is a great thing... If you want one. If you aren't decent with a wrench, you might just be wasting your time. If there's anything more useless than a mechanic who won't dive into something just to see what's wrong--they would have to have a doctor of jurisprudence (ha!).

Seriously, I like the fact that I have my A&P. I certiantly helps me in knowing what's going on inside airplanes. Even more recently, I have worked as a director of fleet maintenance maintaining a few buses, a few pickups and some tractors and having my A&P certaintly didn't hurt that. One of the jobs I had there was a recurrent recertification of the entire facility, and the company was more than happy to be able to say the bus was inspected by a mechanic with real credentials before 60 some children boarded each day.

I've also been given jobs doing totally unrelated stuff--but having my A&P (among other things) at least shows that operating a wood chipper isn't exactly rocket science for me.

It's also nice to have in my pocket since I have decided recently that my priorities for the immediate future are: 1)ride my snowboard--ALOT 2)have time off to work on an old truck and 3)spend some time with people I care about. I have already talked myself into a job driving cat (which would make #1 work out nicely), and they normally don't touch newcomers for that stuff. I also am confident that I could get a job working at an airport near one of my favorite ski areas (or wilderness areas).

But I don't think you can get an A&P in less than 18 months. I've never met anyone who has, and I'm not familiar enough with the different ways to get an A&P to be able to tell you more...

But if you've got a pilot slot--don't worry about flying. If you take up a job that someone who hasn't been guaranteed to be flying soon enough could have--you're just being greedy. You can certaintly make enough money doing other things to tid eyou over. If you've got a WFA (and if you don't you can get one in a few days), you can do lots of work with Adjudicated youth in Utah. I know of at least three companies who want folks to do that for $500 a week (and with no living expenses to pay that's not bad).

Dan

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back