What to do when waiting for Pax to return

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hogan

Are there any rules (besides the obvious ones about alcoholic beverages) that I need to remember as a charter pilot when it comes to waiting for the pax to return? I'm getting all sorts of mixed stories from the crews coming in and out of here. I've heard it's best to stay with the aircraft in case the pax come back early. Another guys says take the plane and go fishing then come back and pick up the pax. Another guy told me to get it ready to go, then spend time in the pilots lounge reading and watching TV. One guys said rent a car, see the sights, and make the company pay for rental. Or bring my girlfriend so I have someone to play with. I'm just 10 hours shy of moving into charter and no one has addressed this issue in training. Any insight?

Really it's case by case. It also depends how well you know the clients. Give them your card and have them call if anything changes, but they may forget. Best bet is to hang out at the FBO, but if your new to charter, just listen to you PIC, there's no replacement for experience in all areas.

Wow, if you have a charter gig where you can bring along significant others that would be a first I've heard of. Ditto what Shamus said. It all depends on who you're flying and how well you know them. You'll learn to choose the places with the better pilot lounges though!

Everybody has to start out clueless!

Hogan:

Judging by the nature of your questions, you seem like you could use a helping hand with what to expect in the charter business and what will be expected of you. I'll keep this focused on what you asked about since I have no idea what your background is or how far along in the process you are.

First, assuming this is not a flame bait thread, somebody been pullin' yer leg son! Girlfriends on flights? Taking the airplane to go fishing? Maybe it's me getting my leg pulled! "Making the comany pay" will add up to a short career. Better be careful how you go about doing that. These answers people gave you are indications that you might be wearing a "kick me" sign on your back. Don't worry, it'll pass. Just don't go on any wild goose chases looking for "50' of flight line" or "a bucket of prop wash" if asked. Man, even the guys at my first company weren't that bad!

Seriously though, expect to wait at the FBO sometimes and go out other times. Chances are, the line captains have a pretty good feel for what to do. Let them show you the ropes and just follow their lead. You'll learn how much discretion you have as time goes on. You'll make some silly, embarrassing errors. Learn from them and move on. Admit it if you make a mistake. Have a thick skin and try to keep your sense of humor. Charter will provide you with adventure, boredom, challenge, reward, disappointment, happiness and frustration. Just depends on the day. Never, ever lose your composure. It may feel good at the moment, but you will pay for it. As my first captain used to say, "In this business, it isn't about how good you are on your best day, it's about how good you are on your worst." Words to live by.

If you'd like more detailed info, tell a little about yourself and your new job and I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Best of success,

Bring a good book...an MP3 player...and ask if someone's going to Subway and can they pick you up a Jared Special!!

J/K...like someone said, depends on the pax. If I have a short standby, less than 2 hours, I don't leave. If I know the area and can get a bite to eat and be back in an hour, I'll leave. If it's an all-day standby...a movie is a good way to kill 2 hours. Also depends on wheels...crew car vs. they take you and pick you up.

I always give my pax my card with my cell and ask them to call me if there are any changes to the schedule, especially if it's IFR and I've got a flight plan that ready to time out. Some places are pretty good about extending your plan, some aren't.

Eric

All I know is that if you want your pax to show up early, all you have to do is one of three things; order food, fall asleep, or take a poop!

Go get a license of some sort: Real Estate, Insurance, Securities, Etc. The, you can make money while sitting in all those FBOs. So many pilots are waiting in FBOs blabbering about this and that, rumoring, & my favorite - watching TV. Educate yourself and qualify yourself so that perhaps one day YOU can be riding in the back instead of the front. How's that for an idea?

AZT

AZ Typed said:
Go get a license of some sort: Real Estate, Insurance, Securities, Etc. The, you can make money while sitting in all those FBOs. So many pilots are waiting in FBOs blabbering about this and that, rumoring, & my favorite - watching TV. Educate yourself and qualify yourself so that perhaps one day YOU can be riding in the back instead of the front. How's that for an idea?

AZT

How are you going to grease the landing from the back?

ksu_aviator said:
How are you going to grease the landing from the back?

Alright - how about instead of riding in the back, you come up front for takeoff and landing in your own airplane. You won't get that sitting on your tail at an FBO. You have time - use it wisely and operate with a sense of urgency.

AZT

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back