• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What to do in San Jose?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's the Winchester Mansion...crazy lady had doors put in going to no where or opened to a brick wall

yes, you can tour the Winchester House. If your in the downtown San Jose area, then you've got to go to 'Original Joe's '.. Its this great old style restaurant right there in downtown. The place is always packed, and you'll feel like you've walked right in the late 40/early 50s (think Frank Sinatra in his hayday with the ratpack and all)

Very cool place..

Rokit88

I just spent four days there a couple months ago, and theres defintely a couple things you need to check out.

In the restraunt categories, two places are requirements: Scott's Seafood Grill & Bar, and Wings Restraunt (Chinese).

Scott's is a more upscale restraunt located in the downtown area. You have to take an elevator at street level to the top of the building where dining room is. Absolutely wonderful food, great outside views, and a great ambience. It's only about 5 minutes from the airport. http://www.scottsseafoodsj.com/

Wings is kind of a local icon that's been there for many, many years. I stumbled across this place late one night while looking around for a place to eat (the other poster is right, the town shuts down at about 10pm!). I walked in and placed an order to go to take back to the hotel room, and they came out with two bags of food. I ordered the chicken fried rice, and an order of egg rolls, and I've never seen so much food in my life. I ate on it for two days. It was fantastic chinese food, and the whole meal cost me a little over $8. You can't beat it. And if you choose to dine in, each booth they have is completely enclosed in chinese curtains for a different experience. http://www.yelp.com/biz/DLTe0QsTTES_YG8Ev4Wj9A

For a hotel stay at the Hyatt. Great hotel, couple good places to dine at, nice pool, and the rooms are comfortable and clean. Downside is that it doesn't appear to be near anything handy. Seemed like everywhere we wanted to go ended up being a 10-15 minute drive.

Take an afternoon, and drive out towards the big green mountains on the east (I believe, you won't miss them) side of the city. Pick a road, most are residential, and follow them as far as you can go. Most will take you up the hills, around them, and down the other side, and on the other side is like being in a whole new town. Nothing but green lush land, and lots of beautiful country side to drive in. The temperature is also noticeably cooler up there, and makes for a nice change. And the views from top of the hills overlooking San Jose are incredible - don't forget to bring your camera!

Also, don't forget San Francisco, and Alcatraz is only a 45 minute freeway drive away as well. You can easily burn the better part of a day driving around there.

Have fun... there's plenty to do!

Latest resources

Back