• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

what to do after 1000 pic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I heard that a lot but nowadays a lot more captains are getting jet time in the regionals

Maybe the case, but with the competive market nowdays, it's who you know. If you know somebody, it's not going to matter if your time is prop or jet, just get the 1000 to fill out the app and have your connections help you. You DO have friends/connections right? If so, you should be beating down their door.

2000 PIC turbine is the new 1000 PIC turbine. SWA won't look at you if you have less than 1300, and realistically 2000 just gets you in the door. If you get up near 2000 PIC turbine you might look at some large jet operators that upgrade quickly, if you can't land your wet dream job in the meantime. I upgraded in the 737 at Vanguard in 11 months, and the time I got there was the foundation for every job I've had since (which, sadly, has been two). TP flying can really suck, but you ought to stick it out if you can get another 1000 hours in the next 12-14 months.

2000 PIC turbine is the new 1000 PIC turbine. SWA won't look at you if you have less than 1300, and realistically 2000 just gets you in the door. If you get up near 2000 PIC turbine you might look at some large jet operators that upgrade quickly, if you can't land your wet dream job in the meantime. I upgraded in the 737 at Vanguard in 11 months, and the time I got there was the foundation for every job I've had since (which, sadly, has been two). TP flying can really suck, but you ought to stick it out if you can get another 1000 hours in the next 12-14 months.

thanks for the answers everybody.

I dont really mind turboprop flying, but more the company for which I fly.

I agree completely. 1000 PIC is just the minimum. I wouldn't leave a job without AT LEAST 1500 PIC Turbine......2000+ being ideal....unless UPS or FedEx calls. Maybe after that you may consider what another poster said about heavy jet, international, etc. A lot of those places are not ideal but heavy jet and international experience will definitely help at UPS. Of course by the time you get all that, things will probably change but most definitely stick it out for more than 1000 PIC. Good luck!

also think about trying to be a checkairman or IOE guy to build up the resume, with these positions you still keep flying the line.

I was asking myself the same question a year ago at this time. I had just under 2000 PIC in the BE-1900 and wondering where to go from there. I applied to many of the so-called "less desireable" jet cargo and charter operators and was basically rebuffed by most. One company did interview me and offer a job on the 737, but then rescinded it after Independence went under becuase they wanted guys with jet time. So I went to a jet regional to get some jet/glass/fms time. In the mean time I did get to interview with SWA but got the letter.

So I am now a CRJ fo with 600+ hours of jet/glass/fms time and 2000 hours of 121 turboprop PIC time. Looking like at least 2-3 more years upgrade on the CRJ, and once again beginning to look at places to get some large/heavy jet time (737 size and up).

Don't know what to tell you because if I knew the right answer, I would be where I wanted to be by now. Good luck, your question is a common one in this day of RJs.

Of course its in a Caravan and completely worthless

Don't be so sure about that. I know one airline that might not look at it like that. More than one person has been hired at SW with nothing more than single engine turboprop PIC time. If they wanted something else, they would say so on the application. Any PIC time is valuable.

Latest resources

Back