What to check prior to pattern work?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
User997 said:
NOTAMs and TFRs - I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet! TFRs are very important to check now a days, cause a President (or other entities) can pick up and move into your area with little or no notice. It's your responsibility to know this, and don't rely on hearing this kind of information on the ATIS either. If the Prez decides to show up in your town they'll typcially be a 30 mile TFR around where he's at, and that can get you in big trouble quick (even doing pattern work!).

Personally, I don't fly an airplane without calling FSS up, and its a habit for me to specifically inquire about TFRs when I am on the phone with them, every time. Its the one time you don't check that GWB rolls in and ruins your day.

There will be times when a computer is unavailable or the FBO doesn't have a weather briefing room outfitted with monitors. Maybe just a sectional and phone.

It's good practice to also use FSS for this reason. Being able to develop a shorthand to jot down all ofthat info. in spit-fire fashion in an orderly way without havign to have everyhting repeated. Most FSS will provide the necessary information in an orderly way so that each tiem you call you will know what comes next and how to format the short hand.

It will also make you more conversant in weather and you can ask questions to clarify things you might not understand so well by checking weather on your own from the internet.

As I mentioned before , the FAA provides a plain language version of most written weather reports, but it sometimes leaves things out or omits the translation of some numbers, etc. This can be helpful in learning to decipher the coded text of reports.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back