Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UA-RESURRECTED

Does this mean I failed?
Until now, the only thing I've been doing is checking local forecasts and listening to ASOS prior to each lesson. Now, my instructor has signed me off to fly solo in the pattern, and it's all up to me. Just wondering what kind of weather data I should be obtaining prior to each flight. Is a full weather-briefing necessary just for pattern work? Again, just wondering what specific sources I should be checking prior to pattern work.

Thanks.

Normally, ones CFI would go over this with a student before sending them solo.

But assuming you simply forgot...

The surface analysis is a good place to start. It can answer the question "is the weather good, bad, or ok?" It can answer the question "Is the weather stable, getting better, or getting worse?" Of course, the only thing you can really do is make an educated guess, but once you get experience with the weather, your guesses become more accurate.

After examining the surface analysis, move on the the TAFs and METARs. Get your current weather with the METAR. Is it looking good? What about some surrounding airports? Checking those is a good way to gauge where the weather is good, and where it is not so good. Then check the TAF. This goes back to the same basic question, "Is the weather stable, getting better, or getting worse?" Compare you METARs against your TAFs, to see how accurate they are.

And always remember, forecasts are only so good->Never trust your life with them.

Honestly, checking the METAR and TAF's should be fine if you intend on remaining in the pattern. Sometimes patterns can extend a few miles from the airport but never more than that. The METAR and TAF both cover areas of approximately 5 NM in radius.

You should also be mindful of the limitations your instructor has set in your logbook and be sure not to exceed them. Remember, the METAR is more or less an hourly obsevational report and can be outdated along with the ATIS. AWOS/ASOS are more up to the minute. TAF's are forecast models that predict the weather 24 hours ahead. This is just as important for your pattern work, as winds can shift and make landing difficult should a crosswind become a factor.

Since you are a student and will eventually begin leaving the pattern and going further away to the practice area, as well as x-try's in due time, you should get into the habit of checking all of the weather reports including obtaining an official weather briefing over the phone. Weather briefings over the phone can be a little overwhelming at first. The briefer can rattle off a lot of conditions and numbers which may be hard to absorb without having to have it repeated. After a while, you will develop an ability to copy this stuff down in your own shorthand and build mental pictures of the weather and where it might be trending. It's also important to practice obtaining the briefing on your own via the internet. It makes sense to get use to looking at the different types of charts and reports that are available so that you can look at them and understand whats going on very quickly. Many sites allow for an FAA or plain language interpretation of the briefing. At first, its good to have both to see that you're reading/interpreting them properly, but get used to the FAA short hand model.

Here's a good site for weather: www.aviationweather.gov
If you're an AOPA member, they have weather data as well on thier website.

The FAR's state that for IFR flights or flights not in the vicinity of an airport you must obtain current weather reports and forecasts, alternate airports if the flight cannot be completed as planned, any known ATC delays, runway lengths of all aiports of intended use and the takeoff and landing distances required.

Guys thanks for the information. I didn't think a whole lot would be required for simple pattern work, but just wanted to be sure about this.

Thanks.

Better sure than sorry.
That's why we have checklists. In addition to checks.

no offense to your instructor, but shouldn't they be telling you this prior to signing you off to fly solo?

If it is hot out and the density altitude is high, it doesn't hurt to do takeoff/landing roll calculations...even just as practice.

big_al said:
no offense to your instructor, but shouldn't they be telling you this prior to signing you off to fly solo?

It's an imperfect world, I guess.

I received ground instruction from someone other than my instructor. Perhaps he assumed I already knew about all this stuff?

Anyway, it's my fault for not asking him about this today. I figured asking here was better than nothing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back