Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AV1ATRX

That is all.
I was recently fired from a charter job for refusing to fly in bad weather. Has anybody else had this happen to them? It hasn't been quiet, either, so all the other companies in the area know what happened. The folks who know the details know it wasn't my fault, but prospective employers don't know that until I get a chance to interview, and so far I haven't had any luck landing any interviews. I'm fairly low time (136 hours of multi time, 1700 total), and I know there aren't many jobs out there. I've got one student and am looking for others. Should I forget a charter job now? I have never known anybody that this happened to, so I don't know how bad it is, or if it's even bad at all.

I felt really bad about how it happened at first, but now I'm proud of myself. I have always let people push me around before, so I did trips that weren't legal or were unsafe in other respects, but then I realized that I wasn't acting as PIC when I let them do that to me. So I stopped letting them push me to fly when I was overloaded (that happened ALL THE TIME) or in icing conditions (they don't own any airplanes that are legally certified for flight in known icing conditions). Also, to head off the unsults, I am not afraid of a tough flight - the greatest thrill in an airplane for me is an approach to minimums, day or night.

That said, did I screw up? Should I forget ever flying charter or 121? I just can't help but put my passengers (and my own) safety first, regardless of how much the trip would have made. And no matter how many hours I accumulate, I refuse to compromise the FAR's (except in an emergency, of course), so that a company can make money. I realize that making money for the company is the reason I get a paycheck, so don't flame me with that. I'm just saying, I won't compromise safety or FAR's to make money. I know there are ways to still make a flight in some cases, and I'm all for that, but I won't "bend" the rules. For instance, if an airplane is legally unairworthy, maybe not unsafe, but legally unairworthy nonetheless, I am going to write it up and get another plane.

So, what do you think? Is my career over? Should I go work for the FAA since I seem to be such a stickler for regs? (I don't want to do that - I love to actually fly every day.) I have made myself sound anal, but I'm not. I loved flying charter, and I didn't want to have to cancel trips or delay them, but sometimes I had to. Thanks for reading, and if anybody answers, go easy on me. I'm still new compared to all you high-timers, and I really just want to grow into a great captain someday. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

No, I haven't applied there. Are they hiring? Would my times be competitive? Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Refuse to fly?

I'm super proud of you! You can't let these charter outfits use your certificates to make them money. All you have is your life and certificates and you CAN'T let these 135 operators push you around. The bottom line for them is to make money and they careless about your certificates. Now this seems odd that they think this way, but they do even though they would face a fine if your violated.

You have personal minimums and you have to stick by them. Don't let them waiver one bit. If your not comfortable with a specific situation don't go. If they don't like your decision they can get screwed!

I'm sorry, that c#$p makes me mad!

RJ

You have less than average times among our current applicants but we do interview those with less. Those with below average times need to give above average performance in the interview.

We have a class that started today. The average time among non-previous employees is around 1870. I do have one with considerably less time than you have. 4 of the 14 are ATPs. The chances of you getting on without an online application are roughly 0%. I strongly encourage you to apply.

We started interviews yesterday. I am expecting those who interview successfully this week to be in class in the June/July time frame.

A few small operators who don't know all the details may have blackballed you, but your career is certainly NOT over. Many 121 airlines would love to have you, if not all of them. Since you were fired, you will have to disclose this at an interview, but you can make this a plus if you think about it. You have to remember that airline interviewers are moslty pilots, and they know what happens at some operations. Don't worry about it, and don't give up.

Right now, things are tough and there are few jobs to be had. However, I'm sure if you keep flying somehow, and things start to pick up, you should have no trouble. You also may get a job at a very good regional like Skywest or Comair, or another that is still hiring. Just don't give up and keep on trying. I would also suggest you read the book "I could do anything if I only knew what it was," By Barbar Sher. It will help you to decide what your dream job is, and help you to go for your dreams.

I hope this helps, and I look foreward to hearing your voice on the radio again soon.

I'm sitting here with a great big grin on my face because of all the kind things being said. Thanks for the replies and advice, and I will certainly not give up now! I guess my next move is to work on an application with the afformentioned (sp?) regional :)

dead

If you are dead, the job is not worth much. The title is Pilot in Command and not ATC , an employer, or anyone else should or could usurp that authority.

Tell you future interviewers exactly what the situation was. If that keeps you out, you do not want to be there.

Hang in there, Don't let anyone tell you when to fly (weatherwise)
Don't break the regs. The people who run these places are there because they can't get to the top, and to the top you will go. Stick to your guns. Good luck

Stick to you guns, don't give up and never give in... YOU are the PIC, and YOU will be the one to die if you let someone else push you to do something unsafe....

Don't worry about what you think they are saying about you... If other companies look down on that you don't want to work there either... Don't sweat it, there are many people this has happened to before and they have all gone on to make very lucrative careers for themselves...

If you really get pissed, you could try a wrongful termination and slander lawsuit against them, that would most likely shut there mouth (and maybe even their doors if you were to win it!)

Not that I encourage sueing people, but I really hate to see this crap go on in the industry!

Latest resources

Back