Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What possible aviation careers are open to late starters?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Savate

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm just working on my PPL right now, so it may seem nutty for me to ask this, but its more out of curiousity than anything else.

Are there any career possiblities open to late (past 30) starters in the field? Are all the pilots making a living out there ex-military flyer or guys who started when tney were kids so they have 1 billion hours by the time they are 29yrs old?

Any chance some guy coming late into the game could ever get a job....?

Again, I don't really have any illusions right now...me and my single-digits logbook; I'm just try to fufill a life-long goal (but believe me, I kick myself for not flying and learning more with my Dad when I was with him).

But a guy can dream can't he? :)
[/font]

Last edited:
Savate said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm just working on my PPL right now, so it may seem nutty for me to ask this, but its more out of curiousity than anything else.

Are there any career possiblities open to late (past 30) starters in the field? Are all the pilots making a living out there ex-military flyer or guys who started when tney were kids so they have 1 billion hours by the time they are 29yrs old?

Any chance some guy coming late into the game could ever get a job....? http://www.studentpilot.com/interact/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

Again, I don't really have any illusions right now...me and my single-digits logbook; I'm just try to fufill a life-long goal (but believe me, I kick myself for not flying and learning more with my Dad when I was with him).

But a guy can dream can't he? http://www.studentpilot.com/interact/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif
[/font]

The only thing that would truly be past you is active military service. The military has age limits on starting pilot training.

However, beyond that, there are no limits but what the industry and the economy puts on you. If you have realistic goals about where you might go, you can have a very successful career. Realistically, even as a student pilot, you are only two or three years (or less) from being eligible for employment at a regional airline. They are becoming a career destination for many pilots whether they wanted to stop there or not.

Ultimately, it comes down to luck (the economy) and your own perseverance. If you go for the career, you can't be shy about it. You must be willing to move just about anywhere to get a job/experience, and for really crappy pay to boot. Most will tell you conditions improve as you get experience, but, again, that can vary widely.

I also think every pilot should have an alternate source of income; business, investments or even a large inheritance. The ups and downs in this biz can be beyond brutal.

Good luck,
C

Agree with alt source of income.

Savate,

My CFI started flying in his early 30's, and had a job offer from Continental. He was already established in a diving career. Good luck to ya hoss.

qmaster3 said:
My CFI started flying in his early 30's, and had a job offer from Continental.

Wow! To go from instructing straight to Continental?!?! Musta been a damm good CFI!

Anais,
Love that name by the way (have her biography).

I'm already working while putting hours in towards my PPL, but I hope to join the local CAP squadron once I got my ticket to stay active in the aviation community.

Maybe its not such a long shot....but I will be 40 in August! :(

Stay out of the CAP--that's almost as bad as being on the ERAU Flight Team! :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Yes, I know the CAP fills a vital role in aviation.... It still has a really high dork factor.TC

We have couple two pilots flying jets for us that did not start flying until their 30's. It is ruff road. Both did the CFI'ing on the side of their day job. Have a finance plan, because you will be living below the poverty level.

I'm already at the poverty level (I'm a teacher) so I'm used to it! ;)

I really appreciate everyone being supportive and not dismissive.

Makes me think of that song, "The Yellow Piper" by Kristina Olsen (about the housewife who secretly goes out and gets her PPL to live out her dream). I'm not a housewife though.....

Latest resources

Back