what plane to buy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jimmyw

I'm helping a company that will utilize a plane 5 times a month and fly roughly 500 to 800 mile legs pick an airplane. We're thinking a new Citation Mustang or a used King -Air 90 series. Any one fly the Mustang ? I know Zero about it. Which 90 series would be good to look at ?

J

Apples and Oranges

You are honestly asking a question that all of us who might be able to give some input... need more info.

How many people... Runway Length... Elevation... Maintenance availability at your home base...

Those are all good things to start with... and keep in mind that a 6 Seat Turboprop and a 6 Seat Jet are night and day different.

LB

Boy, that's a tough one. Basically the folks are going to fly once a week, for 2 to 4 hrs (diff. btwn jet and the prop).

That's not a whole lot of utilization for a brand new flight department and they could have some sticker shock....

Not so much the acquisition of the airframe, but fixed costs associated with insurance, pilot salaries, maintenance, hangar, spares, etc...

If it were me, and I was advising, I's say buy a block of charter on Citation for 6 months and see how goes. But to jump in and buy and airframe to do a trip once a week could really put a bad taste in someones mouth when the bills start rolling in.

Since you're talking up to 800 miles, an economical jet charter, say a Citation, will beat the price of a King Air every day at 800 miles.

A Citation will cost less per mile to operate than a King Air (Cessna will guarantee it), will not depreciate as fast (a 6 year old CJ-2 is worth more than it's purchase price today), will get there significanly faster, and be above most weather and turbulence. The runway numbers are nearly identical.

Cessna has a two year backlog on all the Citations, I think the Mustang may be a bit longer. Many new buyers are getting a used airplane to get them to their position (not too bad as they hold their value).

I would recommend chartering for six months while they work the sales guys, get demos, and weigh the options.

I would get a used PC-12 operating cost 300-400 hr. I used to haul 1000bls of freight from south Texas all the way to Canada and KYIP in about 4.5 hrs with a small tailwind. I would land with 630 lbs on avg. It handles ice very well. Great airplane.

If you don't need to haul more the 5 people, I would look at a TBM. I fly a 700 and an 850. Cost per mile is better than any jet or king air. We had a CJ1 and it cost 4 times as much in maintenance and fuel. The 850 is about the same time as the mustang in a 800 mile trip by the time the mustang climbs to altitude to get an efficient fuel burn. You also burn less than have the fuel.

Latest resources

Back