what makes a good pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In a word...airmanship.

A really good pilot uses superior airmanship to avoid getting into situations where he has to use superior stick and rudder skills to get out of.

The Y Chromosome

Laughs at the captain's jokes.

Makes the coffee right, the first time.

Doesn't let the captain kill himself or look stupid.

Uses humor to relieve tension.

Oh yeah, and can fly anything including the box it came in.

A great pilot consists of a CATIII aircraft and a homo in the right seat that can read a checklist. GEAR DOWN HOMO!

LATE

A good pilot...

1) Ego-Free - This allows one to admit mistakes, avoid pressing bad situations, and accept input from other crewmwmbers objectively.

2) Knowledgeable - Knowing the systems on your airplane and having a good understanding of regs and procedures helps avoid or solve most problems.

3) Tact - "The ability to tell someone to go to hell and have them enjoy packing for the trip."

4) Experience, experience, experience, experience - Learning by studying is good but learning through experience is irreplaceable.

A good FO

A good FO remembers three important phrases.

1) Wow Captain that was the best landing ever.
2) Hay Captain why don't I buy the first round
3) That girl at the bar is cute, but I think her fat friend likes me.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/icons/icon14.gif what makes a good pilot?

A pilot who has overcome, or who never had the extremely negative and self-centered ego problems associated with a low-time (most likely young), pilot (who thinks they have something to prove to everyone.)

Our ego is our greatest enemy, because most of the time we aren't aware of the subtle dangers it poses or can pose to ourselves and those around us. Good means safe, and some of the traits that make a good pilot are honesty, integrity, humility, and the ability to run a crew (or participate) in a crew environment effectively.

BTW, nobody gives a sh*t about what you think you have to prove, and the more cocky you are, the more isolated you become in this industry.

DC-8...

.....nice!

Topgun,

I thought I told you months ago to delete that profile and start over with something a little more grounded in reality?

...this is me shaking my head in total disbelief, that it is humanly possible to actually be such a tool...

100-1/2

A good pilot of one who can score a hot F/A on a four day trip. Not QX grandma.

(Why are all the hotties out of SEA anyway?)

Latest resources

Back