What kind of time does FEDEX prefer?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Shieki

Which would be more appealing to a major cargo carrier like FEDEX, UPS, or DHL; 135 jet freight time or 121 jet commuter time? Any input would be appreciated.

Shieki,
I don't think it really matters what type of turbine pic time that you get as long as you get it. I can only speak of the 121 jet time since that is my background. The regional jets are very modern and very similar to the type of equipment that you'll fly at the big cargo carriers (757, 767, A300, MD11). The only advantage that might give would be an easier time in training. I'm not really sure what type of equipment you'd be flying for a 135 freight outfit but in the end it really doesn't matter as long as you meet the mins. I say go with the one that suits you the best. Good luck and take care.

NightFlyer

Easy Answer

I can't believe nobody has stated the most obvious answer!

NIGHT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

FJ

From my experience, furloughed US Airways and now lovin life on the panel <grin> at FedEx, the airlines prefer 121 over 135 time. That said PIC turbine time is PIC turbine time, it's that simple. They want to see that you're able to make the decisions to get the jet, turboprop, aerostar etc., from A to B in one piece safely. I've done both the single pilot 135 night frieght pilot gig and the 121 commuter/airline pilot deal. Go for whatever is available to you and then build on that. Good luck

:)

FedEx is a branch of the U.S.M.C. It doesn't matter what kind of time you had, only that you were a Marine aviator.

Inline - you were out of line!

Personally I really like and respect Marines, so I would have no problem with FedEx hiring former Marines because they like them.

That statement, however, is way off base. FedEx has people on the property from EVERY background imaginable. There are people who wanted to work here since they were in HS or college and threw boxes during the sort at night while going to school. They had vision and smarts to do that because it helped them land a job in the show. Others instruct for 3 years and then work their way onto the seniority list, or come over from the corporate department. There are pure commuter pilots, 135 pilots, corporate pilots, furloughed pilots, former (name just about any airline you can think of here) pilots, and yes, lots of former and current military pilots from EVERY service and Guard component on the property. Its actually a very diverse crowd.

Perhaps inline has an axe to grind with FedEx, I don't know, but his statement was way off base.

The answer to Shieki's question was answered very well by Nightflyer and NTSing. ANY turbine PIC time that meets or exceeds the mins is good time. You can come from ANYWHERE and wind up on the property here, so long as you have the mins and a clean record.

The most important part of the equation may actually be the recommendation from somebody, however, to actually get an interview. I'm sure it can be done without a rec, but with hiring so slow and so many folks in line, I would do everything I could to cultivate a relationship with somebody I knew who flies for FedEx.

As for the other carriers mentioned, I could only guess.

Good luck Shieki.

FJ

As Falcon mentioned, night time is very important but on top of that probably the most valuable time would be "coffee pouring time." As a flight engineer with FedEx, not only are you going to manage the systems of the aircraft and do performance calculations but the most important job is going to be managing the coffee. If you were to already have some of this valuable experience then I think that would make your application stand out among the others. If you were to have coffee pourer in command time (cpic) or multi-coffee jug time then so the better. Good luck to ya.

NightFlyer

Mr Aviation

Mr. Aviation, another satisfied customer.

Did you read any of the above posts?

Military is good. Its certainly not required.

FJ

Latest resources

Back