What kind of pilot shoes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ERJpusher

What kind of shoes won't set off the metal detector? I'm sick of pulling mine off every time I go through security.

If anyone out there has a very comfortable pair of shoes that won't get me strip searched, I'd love to hear what kind they are.

Doc Martens. They've never set off the metal detector.

CHEWS

ONES with Thick soles .
I bought a pair of Nun Bush quarter high boots comfy and they kick off easy when it's not your leg;)
Small bit-o-metal but not near enough to trip the triggers of our TSA agents.
Take care
Jobear

I bought a pair of Ecco's about a month ago and haven't set off the metal detector since. Very comfortable and no metal shank - they're a bit expensive though - plan $130 - $200 depending on which kind you get.

zappatos

I'm happy with my doc's paid about 100 bones to get them 2nd day right from doc martens website (don't buy them in a store, all the stores jack the prices up)

www.dmusastore.com

lots of styles, just stay away from the 'industrial' series and you'll be good for the magnetometers.

J Bar, justin ropers eh? my ropers beeped, have metal shanks....how do you get through with yours? I know justin's coming out with new boots with composite shanks but they're only in this new style of boots not their regular line as far as i know.

Last edited:
docs

another good thing about Docs, is you can get some styles with nice hiking/work boot soles/tred, good traction for slippery stairs and whatnot, instead of slick bottomed shoes that are as good as ski's in the winter or when it's wet

Ariat Cobalt Roper, Model #35401

I did some research on this subject, in response to another recent thread and because I'm also looking for some good work shoes. For those of us who like wearing the Roper (a work/dress style of western boot), there are many manufacturers out there. I've looked at: Justin, Lucchese, DoubleH, Durango & Ariat. My principal concerns were, in this order: not having to take them off while going through security, comfort, and durability.

With respect to comfort and durability, I think that Lucchese is the winner, according to dealers who stock all of these brands and according to ancedotes from people who wear these boots. Unfortunately, Lucchese boots all have steel shanks (which set off the alarms) and are also at least about $130 a pair, minimum. I've told that the Ariat boots are also very comfortable and range between $100-$120 for the basic leather.

With respect to keeping the boots on the feet through security, Ariat is the only company who advertises nonsteel-shank technology. Ariat calls it their ATS Technology, which includes a "carbon-fiber forked shank." I telephoned Ariat and spoke with a representative about this technology. They were aware of pilots' concerns and guaranteed that their boot wouldn't "beep." Ariat's website is also very informative: www.ariat.com.

I've been told that Justin boots are also comfortable and that they don't set off alarms, but their website (www.justinboots.com) describes a "steel shank" in the ball of the foot so I wonder if a more sensitive machine might invoke the dreaded 'boot-removal-syndrome.'

Here's the rub: not all Ariat boots have the carbon-fiber shank and most stores don't know the difference. Their stock is mixed so you might believe that you're trying on a Ariat Cobalt Roper and be actually trying on older model with a steel shank. "Beep." So make sure that you ask for model #35401, the Ariat Cobalt Roper. They probably won't have it in stock but can order it for you in about 10 days. That was my experience.

For those of you who may be wondering, I'm not an Ariat dealer and have no financial interest in the company.

Usual disclaimers.

I have the Justin Roper rubber sole style #3170

another guy just got Kenneth Cole "Tri-boro bridge" #km2242le for the business look

no problems at all with metal

hope this helps

Latest resources

Back