Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What kind of flashlight would you recommend for preflights?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

begsby

What kind of flashlight would you recommend for preflights? Looking for a bright but small flashlight. Any recommendation? And not the 100 dollar flashlight!

I use the camera strobe on my smart phone. All of them have an app that can put the strobe in a continuous on mode. It's very bright. Keep a $3 LED one in my kit for a fed check though.

Last edited:
Small, bright, cheap.

Pick any two.

No such thing as a small cheap bright flashlight. And by bright I mean light up the tail bright.

I am a fan of twintask $40 at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-51039-Twin-Task-Battery-Flashlight/dp/B004MDI3PK
http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=215

Its not as small as the E2D defender, but not much bigger either, at least not as big as a D cell light, and it floods the tail with light, and the batteries last over six months of PM flying.

Last edited:
I have a Coleman LED; super bright and cost around $14 at
Wally World. Best part is the area around the lens is
serrated slightly. Good possible self defense thing if needed.

That's like what, 10 pre-flights in the dark during the winter months? :)
I get it but, that's about three terminators per week, lights on coming down the jetway so its on five minutes per? 15 a week, hour per month, 6 hours burn time in 6 months?

Just make sure you have something that the FAA approves of within reach in the cockpit. Then just use whatever works. Since they came out with the LEDs there is no need for anything bulky. Mine has lasted me for 4 years now without replacing the batteries once. I thinknit was 25 bucks on amazon. IPhone works fine in a pinch.

Latest resources

Back