Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gatorman

Snot-nosed college boy!!
I was reading in another post that pilots have about their most unforgetable moment of danger and the likes. I thought I'd get'er started here. I know you got one...maybe you have to just think about it a little bit.

Here's mine:

Having just completed my incomming runs at the maintenance run up area at Love field, I called the tower to request for taxi back to the hangar. The tower granted me taxi across runway 1 7 and proceed taxi way 'delta'. And so I did.
Just as I was pulling up to 3 1 Left, I started to slow down to the 'hold short' line to pick up the mic to call the tower and ask to cross the active runway. But before I could utter a word a squawk came over the radio for the aircraft I was in to 'cross without delay'.
*now this is where better judgement should have kicked in*
I dropped the mic back into the holder and pushed the throttles up. As I was doing so, I happened to look to the left to see what was a Lear in a landing posture. Not only was it close enough to see that it was a Lear, but a Lear with winglets!!! That is close.
And so, I continued my trek across the active runway with the throttles near to the take off setting for the day and hurred my arse over the hump of the runway. As soon as I had created enough speed to know that I have cleared the runway, avoiding what could have been a nasty situation, I pulled back on the throttles and applied the brakes to slow down enough to make my next turn on the taxi way.
As I was in the process of my turn, I and the guy in the right seat felt and hurd a 'thump' and then another. Thinking that it was a couple of the new road deflectors that I had run over, we kept on to the hangar.
The tower thanked me for my crossing over the active runway in such a timely manor and wished me a good day.

Pulling up to the hangar, a co-worker was coming out with a set of chalks for the wheels as I completed my shutdown, he noticed that the aircraft was sitting heavy on the wheels and asked me how much fuel I had onboard. "A little over 5,000" I said, "Why?"
As we walked over to the mains we noticed that they were sitting heavy in the tires. We walked around the backside and saw why....both of the inboard tires were blown out and the outbaord were 'bulls-eyed'
Those 'speed bumps' I mentioned earlier....that was the two tires blowing out.

...and just incase you don't believe me, if you ever get a chance to see the taxi way 'delta' on 31R. You will see a complete set of tire marks screaching across the runway from the middle of the runway to the 'hold short' line on the other side.

And THAT is where my O.S. and my mark in avaition place occurred.

Unlike the previous post, my incident did not result in any damage. I was taxiing a D328 Jet to a remote spot. Being a high wing aircraft I had not taken into account how much effect a stiff wind has on the airplane. Taking a left turn slowly with only the LH engine running (due to the RH not lighting off during push-back) I turned so that the very strong wind was coming at me into my left side. I had no idea what was going on, but the aircraft began to steeply bank to the right, I had every scrolling CAS message possible in conjunction with an engine out (RH). The airplane had actually managed to get so light on the LH side that the prox sensors thought it was off the ground, hence the scrolling CAS messages. I lost ability to steer effectively and headed towards the grass as I hit the brakes (which were mostly only on the RH side due to the bank) which only helped to turn me further right towards the grass. My right seat guy could only respond "what the hell are you doing ?" as if I were doing this on purpose. After coming to a stop on the taxiway, regaining myself, I continued to the remote spot. Scared the heck out of me, but I will never forget that a high wing is more sensitive to wind.

**forgive any spelling errors, I don't care to correct any right now**

Not really an oh **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** moment but here it is:

I kept getting squawks about one of the 152's fouling spark plugs and the pilot not being able to clear it, so I would pull the plugs, clean and test them, replace any that fail the test and reinstall them and it would seemingly fix the problem. One day the airplane lost power on climbout and was running really rough so instructor and student motor around and land and call me. So I head down to the airport and check all the leads to make sure they're tight, check the fuel and basically give it a preflight just in case. I head to the runup area and It's absolutely fine, no fouled plugs in the mag check, static RPM is fine etc. etc. So I call for closed traffic and take off, never being one to pass up a free maintenance flight. First touch and go went off without a hitch, same with the second and as I'm climbing out on the third turning downwind and thinking to myself that they were just nervous about something and nothing was really wrong it started running horribly and shaking like crazy. So I head around and land and as I'm taxiing to the maintenance hangar it starts running fine again.

We pulled the mags apart and found some nasty carbon tracking... cleaned them up real good and put them back together. Problem solved.

it wasn't nearly as exciting as it sounds here ;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back