What is there to do in Scottsdale??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LandGreen

Ok..i know that there are lots of things to do, but what can you do that WONT break the bank? Seems like it is $14 for a sandwich! any good dive bar restaurants bbq joints near the KSDL airport area???

thanks

Are you kidding me? IN-N-OUT burger!

Also, if you like golf check out Toka Sticks at the old Willie AFB (now called Willaims Gateway Airport) in Mesa. I played there last year for $20 and they gave me a sleeve of golf balls too! Lot's of shade on the course too, as it is not your typical desert course.

Or:

Make the two-hour drive in the rental car up to Sedona. There a some really great hiking trails for $5/day parking. Personally, I like the Huckaby Trail as there is a place to go swimming at the end (or middle if you hike the whole trail up and back).

Coool Hand Luke said:
Are you kidding me? IN-N-OUT burger!

Also, if you like golf check out Toka Sticks at the old Willie AFB (now called Willaims Gateway Airport) in Mesa. I played there last year for $20 and they gave me a sleeve of golf balls too! Lot's of shade on the course too, as it is not your typical desert course.

Or:

Make the two-hour drive in the rental car up to Sedona. There a some really great hiking trails for $5/day parking. Personally, I like the Huckaby Trail as there is a place to go swimming at the end (or middle if you hike the whole trail up and back).

Dohhhhhhhh...gotta hit in and out burger!!! great idea about sedona...that could be day trip right? any other good day trip ideas??? i have never seen golf that cheap either!!!

Most courses are flipping to summer rates so it is much cheaper than normal; you just have to hack the heat which isn't too tough if you drink lots of liquids. Flagstaff is only about another 30-45 minutes past Sedona. Its a really nice mountain town about 15-20 degrees cooler with lots of bars. Payson is only about an hour away up the Beeline Highway, another good day trip.

If you go hiking, bring tons of water. Whatever you think is enough plus another %50. Every night on the news the local fire departments are rescuing exhausted hikers off Camelback mountain or out of the Superstitions. It usually ends safely, but there is the embarassment and expense.

I am as cheap as most pilots get. If you have a vehicle you might consider going to "Old Town". It is about a 15 minute drive south of KSDL. The area is about as touristy as it gets but a good time can be had for very few dollars. There are many bars and restaurants within the area, everything from $5.00 up to mega bucks per meal. Week-ends there are a lot of free activities including some great country bands. The street parties are fun and make people watching a great way to kill time.

All of us spend our time on the road differently. If you like to walk and mellow out a little this might be OK for you. KSDL is not CABO at spring break but you should find something you enjoy.

Stay at the Hilton Gardens and blow your entire days per diem at Flemmings!! 12 oz Filet - now THAT'S good eatin'!!!

Baja.

Get a car and go to the Tee-Pee Mexican restaurant. You'll never have better! It's on Indian School Rd. just west of 44th. on the north side of the street.

It's awsome! TC

Can I chime in?

Depends what you're in the mood for - lots of good ideas have been mentioned, like sedona, flagstaff, and of course, the golf. TPC green fees are seriously like $20 and the heat really doesnt really get THAT bad. Yes it sure is hot, but you're moving around a lot and usually you get a breeze...its also cooler on the grass.

If you're adventurous, head down to Mill Ave. in Tempe and do a little bar and club hopping. There's a place called The Library right on the corner (forget the other street). Sounds innocent, but once you get in there at night, you are surrounded by scandalous-looking girls dancing on the bar counters and on tables. Meet women and tell them how much you know about airplanes - the girls down in Tempe are easy to confuse, but rest asured, you could tell them you are a captain on a cessna 172 and they won't know any better.

Theres also some good outdoor shopping/eating about 10-15 minutes away from SDL called Desert Ridge. If you're not familiar, this is a big outdoor mall with outlet stores, movie theater, and a hand full of restraunts.
Watch out for the high gas prices :eek:

Latest resources

Back