• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is the Service Ceiling of a Bird?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The highest bird I've ever seen while flying was only around 1500 feet. Then again, I'm a low-time pilot whose time till now has been limited to buzzing around SoCal.

However, it should amuse you to know that the FAA academy believes birds fly in the vicinity of Jackson, MS at 13,000 feet, because one of my problems today had a bird strike at that altitude, resulting in a cracked windshield and an emergency landing. :laugh:

Stephanie

Last edited:
Tha FAA used to publish the migratory routes of birds a few years back. They have been spotted as high as the lower flight levels. Mostly Canadian geese, if my memory is correct.

I hit a buzzard at NIGHT at 8000 over Georgia. It put a fist size dent in the wing root.

Wow, I just reminded myself of a story that my uncle once told me.

You see, my uncle was a skydiver in his youth. If you have ever met a skydiver you understand that all of them are certifiably crazy, him included. Well it seems that skydivers get their kicks by throwing stuff out of airplanes. Rolls of toilet paper, bowling balls, and other neat things. Well it seems that one day one of the crazy skydivers decided that he wanted to see what happened if they threw a chicken out (I really have no idea how the decision making process went or how the offender aquired the chicken). Well it seems that chickens can't fly at the typical altitude that skydivers jump from. I'll paraphrase how the story was told to me. "Well, he flew for a while, but I think he must have just got tired". The result was predictable. I wouldn't worry about a "chicken" stike anytime soon.

Well it seems that one day one of the crazy skydivers decided that he wanted to see what happened if they threw a chicken out (I really have no idea how the decision making process went or how the offender aquired the chicken).

You know, I grew up on a farm and my dad would never let me toss a chicken out of the second floor window in the barn. I would love to see a chicken falling/flying from 10k.

speaking on living on the farm. A bull got out and the PD is trying to get it. funniest thing I've seen on the news in a long time.

Wow, I just reminded myself of a story that my uncle once told me.

You see, my uncle was a skydiver in his youth. If you have ever met a skydiver you understand that all of them are certifiably crazy, him included. Well it seems that skydivers get their kicks by throwing stuff out of airplanes. Rolls of toilet paper, bowling balls, and other neat things. Well it seems that one day one of the crazy skydivers decided that he wanted to see what happened if they threw a chicken out (I really have no idea how the decision making process went or how the offender aquired the chicken). Well it seems that chickens can't fly at the typical altitude that skydivers jump from. I'll paraphrase how the story was told to me. "Well, he flew for a while, but I think he must have just got tired". The result was predictable. I wouldn't worry about a "chicken" stike anytime soon.
This reminds me of the episode of the old sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati where they decided to throw domestic turkeys out of a helicopter during some sort of promotion. They discovered that domestic turkeys can't fly. :D

LS

Latest resources

Back