• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is the best route to become a Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are a lot of ways to skin a cat, as they say. All paths have pros and cons. My advice to you is to make sure you really LOVE flying. If you don't, it is unlikely that you will be willing to endure the hardships you are certain to face in this career.

Personally, I could not recommend this profession right now because the risk/reward ratio is WAY out of balance. That will hopefully change in the next few years and you may get in at just the right time. (You wont know that until it's to late to do anything about it)

In the meantime, get involved in as many aviation related activities as possible. Pump gas at the local airport, wash airplanes, Aviation Explorers, etc. The goal of this is to make sure you have the drive you will need to be successful in this business.

I personally know several individuals who are paying off 50-80k worth of flight training loans and their careers in aviation either never got started or ended quickly because of a lack of dedication. This will have a financial effect on them for decades. (I'm not talking about guys who have been laid off, that's a whole other issue)

If you really have the LOVE, this can be a great job. But it still is a job. There are day's when I don't want to go to the airport. Also, this career can be very challenging on your family life also. You must marry the right kind of person or it wont last, and you'll be sending half your paycheck to her every month. I've been happily married for 9 years now and it can be a real challenge.

All of that said, I love what I do, and I cant imagine doing anything else.

One last thing....Don't let whiny, bitter pilots talk you out of your dream. (If it is your dream) Remember, the only thing pilots do better than fly airplanes is complain

Good Luck to you

45 days of programming in a college dorm room and pretty soon your the CEO of a company called Facebook. The flying is in the back seat where the service is pretty sweet...

Day one goal has always been to move from the front seats to the back...

Until that day, I'm someone's Beeeoochhh...:crying:

45 days of programming in a college dorm room and pretty soon your the CEO of a company called Facebook. The flying is in the back seat where the service is pretty sweet...

Google, Ebay, Netflix..Why didn't I think of that? Oh yeah I'm a pilot.

YOu want to be a pilot? Do something else that makes money and fly for fun. and if youhappen to get a job flying at least you will have something to fall back on. and while your at your first flying job making no money and hardly flying you can do the other job on the side and make money. If/when you get laid off/ferloughed(sp) you have something to fall back on.

To the original poster, this is the way of thinking you should be looking at to get into an airplane. Come up with something innovative, make lots of money, buy your own plane, learn how to fly it, then hire one of us losers on FI to fly it for you while you hang out in the back with your buddies or a gaggle of hot babes. All the while said losers in the front will be wondering... howd that happen, why didnt I think of that.!!

I would tell you to do anything other than flying, but, you won't listen and will have to learn the hard truth on your own.

Good luck. You're going to need it.

Latest resources

Back