Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is the best aviation watch (Zulu time)?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For the record, I have a Rolex GMT Master with the blue and red bezel, just as Juan Trippe envisioned the watch for his Pan Am pilots.

Muddy

Also for the record, Juan Trip is dead and Pan Am bankrupt and gone. Correlation doesn't imply causality, but why take a chance?

Don't forget, global warming is caused by the lack of pirates, so you never really know...

Nu

I just reread this thread to see if there was any resolution to the Rolex versus Timex controversy raging here. It seems like Muddauber’s observation is exactly correct.

There are more Rolex supporters here than detractors.

Point men in the discussions were Rez O. Lewshun, A Squared, Swass and GVFlyer.

GVFlyer very eloquently stated his views.

Rez O. Lewshun repeatedly misstated them and is apparently very fond of A Squared.

A Squared seems to resent GVFlyer’s prosperity as much as he likes his cheap watches as evidenced by his repeated ad hominem attacks. It was humorous when he wrote, "First, spare us the tiresome bragging about the size of your home, bank account and other symbols of wealth." The items A Squared listed aren't symbols of wealth, they are wealth!

Swass, GEXDriver, NJAFracPilot, SeaSpray and V70T5 were very clear in their justifications of the Rolex watches they wear.

There are some very clear differences of perspective here. Rez O Lewshun and A Squared are convinced that Rolex and Omega watches are jewelry. GVFlyer is certain that they are tools, "I don’t know how you consider stainless steel professional watches such as the Omega SeaMaster GMT and Rolex GMT Master as such. They’re tools. One’s a dive watch, the other a pilot’s watch."

Amish Rakefight was the voice of calm reason saying that it was okay to not want what you can’t afford.

I had no idea that which watch one wears would be such an emotional issue. It’s like class warfare between the aviation haves and have-nots.

Oh, well. As Mercury said, "To each his own".

BTW, I wear a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Lady Datejust and my Daddy gave it to me too, Muddauber!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

_SkyGirl_

Happy New Year!

Also for the record, Juan Trip is dead and Pan Am bankrupt and gone. Correlation doesn't imply causality, but why take a chance?

Don't forget, global warming is caused by the lack of pirates, so you never really know...

Nu

You need to pace yourself, Nu. When you start celebrating the New Year with your favorite holiday hootch this many hours before Midnight, chances are you won't be conscious to yell, "Happy New Year!" at the appropriate time. ;)

_SkyGirl_

If you think a watch has to be expensive to tell time, you're wrong.

If you think someone shouldn't buy an expensive watch because they feel like it, you're wrong.

If you judge someone by the watch they wear, you're wrong, and you're a ******************************.

For the record, my next watch will be a Citizen Eco-Drive, I like the way they look and I think solar power is neat.

No, if you read his post he stated that a Rolox or Omega was needed becuase it was superior and more reliable than a quartz.....

He didn't say anything about needing anything, but the Rolex is superior and more reliable.

Look at Muddauber's post and profile. He got his Rolex when he graduated from pilot training, had a 20 year Air Force career, is now a SWA captain and is still wearing the same watch. How many watches have you owned that have stood up to 25-30 years of abuse around airplanes?

He didn't say anything about needing anything, but the Rolex is superior and more reliable.

Look at Muddauber's post and profile. He got his Rolex when he graduated from pilot training, had a 20 year Air Force career, is now a SWA captain and is still wearing the same watch. How many watches have you owned that have stood up to 25-30 years of abuse around airplanes?

If you enjoy buying a $2500 watch...go for it!

I've had my Casio for over five years at $50. So for over $300 I can have enough watches to last 30 years. Then I take the $2200 extra and invest that over thirty years.

Actually now that I think about it, I can use the intrest off the $2200 and buy new watches every five years.

If I was given a Rolex or Omega as a gift I would really enjoy it.

For the last time people (probably not! :) )... don't try and justify a luxury watch as a required tool or instrument.... There are quartz watches that are built much stronger than any peice of jewelry. I'll bet a G-Shock will last 30 years and you don't have to send it in for a heavy D check.

By the way, when you want to buy a Professional Chronometer for use in demanding environements...where do you go?

If Kay's doesn't have it...try Zales.....

Enjoy your Bling, jewelry, schmuck or professional time piece...

Happy New Year!

Last edited:
By the way, when you want to buy a Professional Chronometer for use in demanding environements...where do you go?

If Kay's doesn't have it...try Zales.....

Neither of which sell Rolex watches.

The Rolex Professional watches are about function, not luxury.

Among Rolex's innovations are the first waterproof watch case; the first wristwatch with a date on the dial; the first watch to show two time zones at once; and most importantly the first watchmakers to earn the chronometer certification for a wristwatch.

A specially made Rolex watch was attached to the side of the Trieste Bathyscaphe, which went to the bottom of the Mariana Trench. The watch survived and tested as having kept perfect time during its descent and ascent. This was confirmed by a telegram sent to Rolex the following day stating, "Am happy to confirm that even at 11,000 meters your watch is as precise as on the surface. Best regards, Jacques Piccard”.

The Oyster Perpetual Sea Dweller features a helium release valve to release helium gas build-up during decompression. The watch is certified to a depth of 4,000 feet. The Rolex GMT Master was originally developed at the request of Juan Trippe’s Pan Am Airways to assist pilots in transcontinental flights. The Explorer and Explorer II were developed specifically for explorers who would navigate rough terrain — such as the world famous Everest Expeditions.

Were you aware that Rolex is a privately held non-profit company?

It is owned by the family Hans Wilsdorf who has created the
Fondazione Hans Wilsdorf (Montres ROLEX) in Geneve which is the second largest charitable organization in Europe with 9,015,000,000 Euros. They endow charitable causes around the world.

If you want a great watch, Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, and A. Lange & Sohne are better watches, but when you buy a Rolex you’re making a charitable contribution.

Rolex also created the Rolex Institute. Rolex has philanthropic tradition of supporting exceptional talent, quality and achievement. The Rolex Institute aims at sharing the recognition of individuals who, through their initiatives, excel in their chosen fields, making a meaningful contribution to the world in which we live.

http://www.rolex.com/en/index.html

http://www.rolexawards.com/home-flash.html

So clearly, Rez, when you buy a Rolex, not only are you buying a superior professional pilot’s watch, you’re helping mankind. Surely, not even you can resist such a compelling argument.

V70T5 said he could hook you up with a good deal on a Rolex GMT Master II.

GV

Happy New Year!

GVFlyer-

If I ever go to the Mariana's trench or Mt. Everest I be sure to consider your post. In addition, it is possible that Juan Trippe asked for a such a watch before quartz technology.

Thanks for the correction on which jewelry store to buy a Rolex... I'll certainly try others before Kay's and Zales. Fact is if you want a Rolex or Omega you'll have to go to a jewerly store or luxury watch website....

Because it is a luxury....

lux·u·ry noun, plural -ries, adjective
–noun 1.a material object, service, etc., conducive to sumptuous living, usually a delicacy, elegance, or refinement of living rather than a necessity: Gold cufflinks were a luxury not allowed for in his budget. 2.free or habitual indulgence in or enjoyment of comforts and pleasures in addition to those necessary for a reasonable standard of well-being: a life of luxury on the French Riviera. 3.a means of ministering to such indulgence or enjoyment: This travel plan gives you the luxury of choosing which countries you can visit. 4.a pleasure out of the ordinary allowed to oneself: the luxury of an extra piece of the cake. 5.a foolish or worthless form of self-indulgence: the luxury of self-pity. 6.Archaic. lust; lasciviousness; lechery. –adjective 7.of, pertaining to, or affording luxury: a luxury hotel.

Again, I'd love to have a Omega.. And I could pay cash for one today. It is a luxury I choose not to have.

Your desire to justify a luxury watch is like owning a SUV. People like SUV's becuase they make them feel that they are prepare to deal with anything life may throw at them on the road... fact is, one can drive to starbucks in a Honda Civic and deal with the same "adversaties" as someone in a Lincoln Navigator or Caddy Escalde. In fact how much does that $5 cup of starbucks cost after one factors in transportation in a Caddy or Lincoln?

Maybe you want to justify a First Class ticket over the Atlantic stating economy just won't do... fact is the back end of the jet will arrive at the same time as the front end... And yes I'd rather go First Class too...

Again and again... I like luxury stuff... but lets know what is a need and what is a want...

awaiting your return salvo....

GVFlyer-

Thanks for the correction on which jewelry store to buy a Rolex... I'll certainly try others before Kay's and Zales. Fact is if you want a Rolex or Omega you'll have to go to a jewerly store or luxury watch website....

Because it is a luxury....

You can buy your "G Shock" (is that a watch for adults?) at Kay Jewelers or Zales...

It's easy to see that GVFlyer is just shining you on...he knows by now that you are immune to facts.

Have you contacted V70T5 for your deal on a Rolex since you can afford it and all?

http://www.rolexawards.com/home-flash.html

So clearly, Rez, when you buy a Rolex, not only are you buying a superior professional pilot’s watch, you’re helping mankind. Surely, not even you can resist such a compelling argument.

V70T5 said he could hook you up with a good deal on a Rolex GMT Master II.

GV

ROFLMAO! Maybe Rez O. Lewshun is not into charitable giving.

More likely, he and A Squared will buy Rolexes when the watch's cost represents closer to a weeks pay instead of the current two months pay.

Rez O. Lewshun - Let me add my name to the list of people that have pointed out to you that no one here, to include GVFlyer, has said they needed a Rolex. Pilots buy them because they are reliable watches point designed for aviators.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back