Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is the best aviation watch (Zulu time)?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you want to go by the professional opinion, go for the Omega Speedmaster Professional. Its the only watch approved by NASA for use by astronauts and was issued to the Apollo pilots for expeditions to the moon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Speedmaster_Professional

When the step-by-step procedures of the Project Gemini space-walks were first mapped out, NASA realized that they did not have an approved wristwatch for space travel. The normal procedure of soliciting bids for the design, manufacture and testing of special “Space Proof” wristwatches was a time consuming process. To save time, NASA sent two systems engineers into downtown Houston “incognito” to purchase several reputable “off-the-shelf” chronographs to be tested for possible use in space. A manual-winding watch was preferred to an automatic watch, as it was assumed that zero-gravity conditions would render the self-winding mechanism ineffective.

Five different brands of chronographs were purchased and returned to NASA for testing. The Speedmaster passed NASA's numerous tests, which included exposure to extreme temperatures, vacuum, intense humidity, corrosion, shock, acceleration, pressure, vibration and noise, whereas the Rolex, Breitling, Bulova, Longines and TAG Heuer, notably, all failed.

Company site:

http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=132

it's big

Well for Christmas my wife got me the Seiko duo-display. I'm sure i'll get comments about how big and gaudy it is but I really like it. The E6B is large enough and in contrasting colors so it's not impossible to use. I doubt I'll ever use the slide rule in the cockpit but I have used it several times just to do large multiplication and division. It's kind of like having a little calculator everywhere you go, but more stylish. It runs off a battery so it should keep good time. It has 26 time zones on it including GMT which is where I keep it. It also has a stopwatch and an alarm. It retails for about $525 but you can get it for half that on eBay brand new. It is big though, and it weighs a ton, but it is comfortable...

I think the old classic Rolex GMT Master is nice... I'm more of a AP and Patek guy, but this is one Rolex I like.. it was apparently originally made to give to Pan Am 747 pilots.. those were the days!

You don't get it. It's the utility of the item that gives it value to me - it's not posessing something, it's using it.

I like operating fast airplanes, fast boats, fast motorcycles and fast cars (although some might take exception to the car statement, I've gone from a 911, to a M3, to a Honda S2000). I like using precision made items whether it's Swiss timepieces, Nikon cameras, Leica binoculars or Perazzi shotguns. I appreciate their craftmanship and how well they function at the task they were designed to perform.

I think hobbies are restorative, so I engage them as directly as I do work.

The only exception to this general philosophy was in the purchase of my primary residence, it's larger than I need. I have daughters, so I bought a house with five bathrooms (which at times seems to be inadequate). I'm sure that anyone else with daughters understands.

GV

You would think a guy that flies 6's would like the utility and nostalgia that automatic chronograph's bring to the table. I guess I'm like you, I like nice pieces of equipment (flying or otherwise).

The story goes that NASA spent over a million dollars designing and engineering a writing device that would work in space....... The Russians used a pencil.

My Honda gets me to work just as well as a BMW.

My Casio has never made me late to work and puts me right at the MAP.

It is very intresting how, in todays society we will adamently argue our wants as needs.

A Squared.... good work.....

You don't get it. It's the utility of the item that gives it value to me - it's not posessing something, it's using it.

I like operating fast airplanes, fast boats, fast motorcycles and fast cars (although some might take exception to the car statement, I've gone from a 911, to a M3, to a Honda S2000). I like using precision made items whether it's Swiss timepieces, Nikon cameras, Leica binoculars or Perazzi shotguns. I appreciate their craftmanship and how well they function at the task they were designed to perform.

GV

Well said, GVFlyer!

Although I shoot a Krieghoff, I wear a Rolex GMT Master. Forget about A Squared, he'll never get it. He's obviously a communist who doesn't believe in the Capitalist Free Market System that allows for our way of life (along with me, of course, serving out here on the Eastern Frontier).

SS

Well said, GVFlyer!

Although I shoot a Krieghoff, I wear a Rolex GMT Master. Forget about A Squared, he'll never get it. He's obviously a communist who doesn't believe in the Capitalist Free Market System that allows for our way of life (along with me, of course, serving out here on the Eastern Frontier).

SS

just to make a clarificaiton.. communist has many meanings.. the true meaning is in fact anti-free market, however the real meaning as expemplified by China is that it's more of a cultural than an economic system. Which is to say, free markets rain in China, and more Rolex are sold there than the rest of the world, but you still can attened church freely, and anything traditional or conservative in cultural terms is still anathoma.

The story goes that NASA spent over a million dollars designing and engineering a writing device that would work in space....... The Russians used a pencil.

My Honda gets me to work just as well as a BMW.

My Casio has never made me late to work and puts me right at the MAP.

It is very intresting how, in todays society we will adamently argue our wants as needs.

A Squared.... good work.....

I don't see where GVFlyer is arguing his wants as needs, he pretty clearly details why he wants certain things.

Here's an academic exercise for you, Rez. He has his progeny and personal future covered with a seven figure bank account, gives to the church and charity, and owns a couple of homes. Where do you think he should spend his discretionary income?

_SkyGirl_

I don't see where GVFlyer is arguing his wants as needs, he pretty clearly details why he wants certain things.

Here's an academic exercise for you, Rez. He has his progeny and personal future covered with a seven figure bank account, gives to the church and charity, and owns a couple of homes. Where do you think he should spend his discretionary income?

_SkyGirl_

That is not the point.... never was. A Squared did a fantastic job, but yet many want not stick to the issue. NASA never needed a million dollar pen when pencils work fine...

One doesn't need to buy a $4500 watch to fly jets. $50 watches do just fine.

One doesn't need a Mercedes. A Honda does just fine.

If one wants a Benz then go for it... but don't try and say it is necessary... GV flyer and Swass tried to tell us that luxury watches were a requirement....

If you like luxury items cause they make you feel good then go for it! I do at times... but I don't try and convince people that I need a BMW.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back