• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is takes to be an airline CEO?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To learn what NOT to do, do some research on Carl Ichan, Frank Lorenzo, and Jonathan Orenstein. you might look at Don Cardy as well (former AA before the flight attendents got him fired).

To expand your understanding of what is necessary in the business of aviation, or any inudstry, you really should read "From Worst to First: The Turnaround of Continental Airlines" by Gordan Bethune who is one of the very few CEO's the labor group has any respect for. he knows how to take care of his employees. Also, Lee Iacoca, former head of Ford Motor recently wrote a book titled (I think) "Where Have All the Leaders Gone?", talking about his 9 qualities a CEO should possess.

The problem is, the corporate leadership in this country doesn't have any fresh blood or new ideas. It's the same old farts bouncing around from one company to another. How often have you read an article about some bozo who used to be in the upper escelon at Pepsico being placed in the top spot at J&J (just an example). What does a food/beferage ceo know about the medical industy. NOTHING! But they all know ho wto manipulate the bottom line, and the stock price, and are excellent at Public Relations and telling investors what they want to hear, instead of telling them what's really going on.

Take jonathan orenstein for example. If middle mgmt tells him something he doesn't want to hear, he throws a temper tantrum like a 2 y.o. who isn't getting his way and finds someone else woefully unqualified to do the job, but will tel him jokes and keep a smile on his face. And he has next to no regard for his labor groups, in fact, it's well known throught the industry that he doesn't like pilots. This is why we've lost over 500 (nearly 36%) crew members this year, most of whom are FO's with less than 1 yr. seniority, and it's the same reason our reqruiting dept. is sitting on it's a$$ because everyone inthe nation knows not to come here.

One last thing, read those two books I mentioned, and do some research on Ben&Jerry's. They make money, they're profitable and their employees are happier than my collegues wil ever be.

ATW did an article on this 5 yrs ago. The title was "Airline Management a dying breed" The article basically said who would want to work in this business. Airlines have razor thin margins; they regulated to the ends of the earth, militant unions, and a fickle public that buys airline travel as a commodity. Who in their right mind would pick this for a career, unless for quick money or a passion for things that fly?

In many cases I would say they start at the bottom and work there way up. At least that is the case at SWA. They like to keep it internal. That said, many other airlines have hired from the outside for top management. Stephen Wolf would be a good example he has led (for lack of a better word) a few airlines. Although every time he takes a job it has been to steer said airline to a merger. Flying Tiger, USAir. I think he may have been involved at republic as well.

and united gave him a lot of money to leave, $40 million in stock i believe.

Most people underestimate the difficulty of running an airline. Having been an executive in companies in and out of aviation, I can certainly appreciate the differences in management of an airline versus other more traditional ones. First of all, the obvious. Airlines run 24/7 which in itself brings nuances that are not that obvious. Secondly comes the variety of regulatory bodies and governmental bodies one has to deal with. Sure, the FAA is obvious as is the TSA and others, but how about the number of different bodies you work with at every airport. Another major problem is that it is an industry with heavy capital spending and where fleet planning etc are made over long periods but where the market factors and much more short term.
Most CEO types like to go where they can make a few short term moves which have a big impact and consequently the stock changes for the better and they look like winners. That is for the most part not aviation.
For those that think this is easy and they could do better, they will find that there are a tremendous amount of decisions that are made to you not by you. Then there are the other issues like the weather that impact you, dealing with long term union issues in a market that changes weekly, sudden changes in regulations or maintenance problems. It goes on and on 24/7. Other businesses have problems too but nothing I have seen like airlines.

For those that think this is easy and they could do better, they will find that there are a tremendous amount of decisions that are made to you not by you. Then there are the other issues like the weather that impact you, dealing with long term union issues in a market that changes weekly, sudden changes in regulations or maintenance problems. It goes on and on 24/7. Other businesses have problems too but nothing I have seen like airlines.

Maybe so but they sure are not going to EVER be liked when employees take 50% paycuts and they get a $40 million bonus. The guy could be a genious but the bottom line is that IT JUST LOOKS GREEDY! It's the same as people thinking pilots are overpaid. No matter what an executive does (24/7 at the office, blah blah blah), in the end.....all people will see is the HUGE salary and bonus at their expense.

We are back to the difference between leadership, which it seems we have little of, and management that any Harvard grad can do.

Just the burning desire to line your pockets with $$$$$. No matter what you have to do, who you have to run over, just think of your wallet and that big fat bonus check. Who cares if you tank the company...after all you're rich F**K the little guy.

It seems everyone agrees on this. Somehow the General and SWA F/O will find a way to mess this up!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back