Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is more important, Labor friendly NMB and bankruptcy judges or tax cuts?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, in reality, a wealthy person takes far more of his or her income home, while it is the lowest individual who pays the highest percentage of his/her income in taxes.

Nothing fair about that. Didn't Carney teach you ethics?

Not exactly. Under the Fair Tax plan, everyone would receive a rebate to reimburse us for the taxes on the basic consumables like food... so if you were so poor and were "starving," you would continue to live tax free. If you were "poor" and still bought an iPod (a luxury item), you pay taxes on the luxury item. If you were "rich" and you bought a huge yacht as a "second home" (sometimes this is tax deductible) you would pay taxes on it, too. Even illegal immigrants would be forced to start paying taxes!

AND we'd all stop paying embedded taxes on capital gains and corporate taxes!

AND you wouldn't spend a fortune calculating your taxes... it would be automatic!

An equal percentage IS fair... the more you spend (which should be relative to what you make), the more taxes you pay, since you can afford it.

BTW, TQC is somewhat of a liberal (nice guy, though!).

THAT is the key statement here....his or her income. It's not Uncle Sam's, it's ours. If you don't make much you pay higher percentages for EVERYTHING; taxes, gas, groceries, iphones, and on and on. Besides, the government will never go "bankrupt", if trillion $$ deficits can't do it, nothing will.
I have an idea... why don't we just tear the f*cker down. Since you see no value in government, you're right.. why pay anything? I guess we don't need roads, cops, fire protection, utilities, or healthcare.

Oliver Wendell Holmes put it best by saying: "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization."

You are so brainwashed that we have been in this 30 year decline and dissolution of our own infrastructure in the name of easy money. Unreal.

Flyprdu,

The "Fair Tax" is an actual tax plan to abolish our current tax system and replace it with a flat tax. It is based on a national sales tax. This tax hits everybody the same. In the FairTax there is a prebate (government check) to everyone to cover the basic cost of living up to the poverty level. This make it so someone living on very little money pays no taxes. The FairTax also hits the underground economy that everyone has used. Who has not paid for something in cash to keep it off the books, be it your yard guy, an electrician moving an outlet, or the local crack dealer. All of the above will be hit with the FairTax when they take their cash and buy that new Lexus.

If you read the book by John Linder "The Fair Tax" it explains it all better than some dumb airline pilot ever could. Suffice it to say it will kill the power in Washington and return the power to the people. It will also bring in Billions of dollars that are offshore in foreign accounts. You ask why has no politician gotten on the bandwagon, because the lobbyist who pay off our beloved elected officials would then all be on unemployment, just like a lot of pilots are now thanks to our government. (referencing the government induced slowdown we are in, and if you think that the government did not cause this mess you should vote for your current incumbent idiot politician, and I will see you in the food stamp line.)

If you reduce all tax brackets to 10%, there will be tremendous drop in revenue that the government receives.

Okay, fair enough...raise it to 15%, 18%, 22%. 10% was an arbitrary figure and is a matter for discussion; after all, I'm a pilot not an economist.

You will have to come up with the shortfall somewhere, which is why "Fair tax" plans come with a national sales tax.

Except this only shifts the burden even more disproportionally to the lower classes, as people need the same amount of basic consumables to survive.

So, in reality, a wealthy person takes far more of his or her income home, while it is the lowest individual who pays the highest percentage of his/her income in taxes.

Nothing fair about that.

If everybody is paying the same percentage of their gross income then the argument can be made that everyone is paying equally toward the services that the federal government provides to them. That would be the epitome of "fair". Besides, there wouldn't necessarily be a NEED for a supplemental sales tax, depending on the flat tax percentage.

Additionally, with a vastly simplified tax structure there will be no need to maintain the IRS as it currently stands, resulting in a substantial reduction in size (and cost) for the administration and enforcement of federal tax code.

Didn't Carney teach you ethics?

Does your definition of ethics allow for increased income taxes on some in order to provide federal handouts to others, some of which don't contribute a penny in federal income taxes?

The Fair Tax Plan is supposed to be cost neutral... so it's not a tax cut or raise.

Arguments on excessive or wasteful spending by governments should be a separate issue. (and yes, government does a lot of very necessary things)

The FairTax also hits the underground economy that everyone has used. Who has not paid for something in cash to keep it off the books, be it your yard guy, an electrician moving an outlet, or the local crack dealer. All of the above will be hit with the FairTax when they take their cash and buy that new Lexus.
That is the best reason for a national sales tax I have heard.

But I am still in favor of a progressive tax. Perhaps a hybrid could be considered.

Remember, the public and subsequently the politicians care about one thing in regard to air travel: price. Air travel will remain affordable to the consumer, that is the mandate of the politicians. No party will support airline pilots right to self help, no party will prevent cabotage if ticket prices are sky high. We need a new game plan, looking for a savior in Washington is a lost cause.

I have an idea... why don't we just tear the f*cker down. Since you see no value in government, you're right.. why pay anything? I guess we don't need roads, cops, fire protection, utilities, or healthcare.

Oliver Wendell Holmes put it best by saying: "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization."

You are so brainwashed that we have been in this 30 year decline and dissolution of our own infrastructure in the name of easy money. Unreal.

Fly,

Where in the Constitution does it say anything about roads, cops, fire or HEALTHCARE.

Those are all items that the local States should take care of, if the people of the State deem it worthwhile.

Even I, a person with a Kentucky public education am able to read what the limits of goverment (according to the Constituion)are supposed to be, and healthcare is not one of them. If you would like a cradle to grave government there are plenty in this world (France, Canada, most of Europe) please move there and leave the "Land of the Free", to the people who would like to be free.

Fly sorry if the above come across as mean spirited, I re-read it and realized it could appear that way. I am simply stating that our government does way more than was originaly envisioned by the framer. They wanted as much as possible to be done at a local, not a federal level............ Thanks for letting me clarify my ramblings.

Last edited:
Under a fair tax plan, ultimately, the very high paid people will keep, save and invest a higher percentage of their money then they do now. They will also keep a higher percentage of their money then the middle class. That, I do not think is the direction we need to go.

Latest resources

Back