What is Life like at UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
-

1. - I’m not sure how to explain it but everything just feels so much easier. You just show up, do your flight and go to the hotel, I feel like there’s much less drama.

2. Like the other day when I commuted on SWA and a huuuuuuuuge lady was told that she needed to buy an extra seat but refused because she’d flown on SWA before and didn’t have to buy an extra ticket then, so why should she have to buy one now, huh? And besides, she even lost some weight since her last flight so you must be either lying to her or you just don’t like “larger-sized people.”…

- The captain got involved, then the station manager got involved – throughout the whole ordeal I just sat there and watched the spectacle with a smile on my face thinking – yeah, I made the right decision – the seats WILL only be getting smaller and the passengers most definitely WILL only be getting fatter! :)

3. How shell shocked will a pax dude be initially, is there a lot to get used to?

- You won’t! As a matter of fact, you’ll be surprised how similar it is to what you are used to with the exception of being at the bottom of the seniority list all over again which sucks at ALL airlines.

4. Overall, I hope Freight is where it's at.

1. It's zero drama....it's awesome not flying pax.

2. Fat people annoy me....I mean, why should I pay more for insurance because you choose to live a sedentary lifestyle and drive up the cost of health insurance cuz of all the issues associated with obesity? Heck yeah, you should pay for 2 pax seats too. Just another reason I love to fly freight.

3. You'll be shell shocked wondering how you flew all the a$$holes in the first place. F*** the pax, I tell ya!

4. Fr8 is gr8!

disclaimer....I had some rum and cokes tonight but I still love flying boxes. I work so hard! :nuts:

disclaimer....I had some rum and cokes tonight but I still love flying boxes. I work so hard! :nuts:

I tell ya, flyin' freight is really tough... lol

What is the current policy on jump-seating off line (I am soon to be a UPS FO) as well as on UPS? Is a uniform required or does appropriate civilian attire work? How about getting through security at airports other than SDF with a UPS crew badge, does TSA give more harassment than normal?

Thanks

What is the current policy on jump-seating off line (I am soon to be a UPS FO) as well as on UPS? Is a uniform required or does appropriate civilian attire work? How about getting through security at airports other than SDF with a UPS crew badge, does TSA give more harassment than normal?

Thanks

Civilian attire works but remember they will take all your liquids and gels.

It depends on the airport but sometimes TSA won't let you through security without a boarding pass. This is wrong and they are not supposed to be doing this but I just get one every time so I am prepared in case they ask.

Once in a great while you get some moron who looks completely confused and says stupid stuff like "you are not commercial" or "you are not flight crew" but it's very rare. :rolleyes:

Thanks

I haven’t had any trouble jumpseating; I travel in uniform most of the time because like Mega said, they'll take your liquids away.

When jumpseating, I've never used a boarding pass because whenever they ask me for one I just pretend I have no idea what they're talking about and say something like "que? no habló español?” and then they just let me go. :)

Just kidding; I’ve heard some airports want a boarding pass for any pilot whose airline does not fly in/out of that particular airport but I’ve been lucky so far. I usually don’t get the boarding pass but get there early enough so I have time to go back to get it in case they want it.

The TSA “harassment” is about the same, you’ll feel the same love wherever you go… ;)

Last edited:
I know you can sign up for the J/Seat at UPS 10 days prior to departure, is it seniority driven or 1st come/1st serve? Does UPS participate in CASS for offline jumpseating?

I know you can sign up for the J/Seat at UPS 10 days prior to departure, is it seniority driven or 1st come/1st serve? Does UPS participate in CASS for offline jumpseating?

Not only are we CASS, that's all we are. All offline jumpseaters on UPS planes must be CASS. As for jumpseating on pax carriers I don't think it's any different for us than any other airline.

I see that you have an agreement with Southwest and Delta for non-revs.

I live in ATL and was wondering what the agreement is with Delta?

Are most of the agreements ID-90s or are there some better agreements with other airlines?

Latest resources

Back