• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is junior manned?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They call you on your day off and tell you that you're going to work......the only way to get around it is to either not answer the phone, or tell them you have a beer in your hand....:pimp:

Indian Boy is correct,

If you pick up your phone your committed.. The other way scheduling can get you is if operations gets a hold of you either on the aircraft or sometimes at the gate waiting to catch your flight home..Has happened to me many a happy time!!

Nothing more aggravating than flying a long 5 day then getting JR MANNED to do another overnight and have 1 day off then start all over again!!!

The only good thing about being Jr. Manned is pay is usually at 1.5 depending on your company's contract..

also known as:

Junior-smacked
Junior-spanked
Junior-F&^%$#
Junior-whipped

and my favorite:

The Crew Planning "Love Tap"

Airline Driver said:
If you pick up your phone your committed..

I always answer my phone.....I don't think they can fire you if you simply can't make it to work when they call...remember, a lot of people commute a long ways. What about child care? Getting junior manned at work is tough to weasel out of, but if you are at home and answer the phone, tons of excuses can make you unavailable. Tell em you aren't feeling well.....you aren't technically calling in sick cause its not your scheduled day to work. Its a good excuse to have a beer every 8 hours on your days off too.

Several years ago, I was based in DFW. Scheduling called on my day off to junior man me, and I listened to the details of the whole trip, then proceeded to explain I was on a frozen lake 180 miles north of Bangor ice fishing with some friends.....45 min snowmobile ride back to my truck for a 3 hr ride home to get cleaned up and begin my commute to DFW....I said with any luck I can be there tomorrow before noon....when does the trip start. Guess it was a lot sooner than that, cause they said thanks anyway and hung up.

TheRaven said:
Several years ago, I was based in DFW. Scheduling called on my day off to junior man me, and I listened to the details of the whole trip, then proceeded to explain I was on a frozen lake 180 miles north of Bangor ice fishing with some friends.....45 min snowmobile ride back to my truck for a 3 hr ride home to get cleaned up and begin my commute to DFW....I said with any luck I can be there tomorrow before noon....when does the trip start. Guess it was a lot sooner than that, cause they said thanks anyway and hung up.

That's a good one!

TheRaven said:
I always answer my phone.....I don't think they can fire you if you simply can't make it to work when they call...remember, a lot of people commute a long ways. What about child care? Getting junior manned at work is tough to weasel out of, but if you are at home and answer the phone, tons of excuses can make you unavailable. Tell em you aren't feeling well.....you aren't technically calling in sick cause its not your scheduled day to work. Its a good excuse to have a beer every 8 hours on your days off too.

I agree with you, many excuses can be made up if they call you while your at home or in the middle of no where. 9 times out of 10 I was grabbed on the aircraft or while I was still on duty. It's in My FOPP that I must be reachable wile on duty and for at least 15 minutes after block in on my last flight before I head home...

It's easier for the scheduling to grab you then than it is for them to grab you at home. In your example if your North of Bangor fishing or in upstate New York on snowmobile and you are in the middle of Lake Champlain then I think it's more difficult for them to make you fly.. If your pick up your phone and your still technically "ON DUTY" then your committed....I think being fired would be an extreem case and only if you already have several other strikes against you..

Latest resources

Back