What is it about flying ...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Snakum Don't Give up !!!

The main reason I wanted a Dr. Lic was to get to the airport. When I was 17 and in the Civil Air Patrol. Earned my pvt. in H.S. with money I made at the airport ($2.00 per hr. a 152 was $14.00 per hr). Big mistake got married at 19 divorced at 21.

I went on the police Dept at 21 and flew when I could. In about 1988 there was some hiring in the industry. I was 30yrs old at the time and I jumped in with both feet, worked overtime and security guard type details. I also went on the night shift so that I could fly in the day. I have done Instructing ,Traffic watch, Part 91 flying,135 and no it has not been easy.

Now the good news today 8/23/03 I have a 25 year pention in place and can now be and ex-cop. I have a couple of friends trying to help me at a couple of regionals. I will not known for a few weeks if my life long dream with be a reality or not. With the pention I will able to live on first year F/O pay. I am now remarried with a son , so this is a factor.

I guess the point I would like to make is. In 1988 when there was some hiring I was not marketable. By the time I was, the jobs had dried up and the mins had gone way up. The industry appears to be in a 10 year cycle 78 good, 88 good, 98 good ,08?.

Be commited and be ready and don't stop trying . The worst thing that can happen is that after you get your ratings you will make extra cash and have lots of fun (after I earned my CFI I said good by to O.T. and details)

Hang in there and DO NOT GIVE UP !!!!!

Good Luck Ray

So are you trying to say that the "pention" as a cop is soooo bad that you have to take a 19K a year job as commuter pilot to make ends meet, or are you saying that the wages at a commuter are soooo bad that you have to work a government job for 25 years in order to have a "pention" to be able to afford life at a regional?

"Sooooo" sorry I did miss spell pension thank for letting me know. I never could spell worth a #%*!!*.

Now to answer you're question.

Sad but true your second guess is pretty close to being the truth. But, it was part of a long range plan. Now I have medical ins. for my family for life and about 31k per year for life with a 3% annual cost of living increase built in. Not that you need a safety net in aviation .

Also if I do get my dream job ( hope it does not end up being a nightmare , You known be careful what you wish for) I will have to take about a 60% pay cut to do it . That's just from my income as a part time pilot, not counting my pension (see I spelled it right aren't you proud of me) But some things are not about money.

You see I have dreamt of being an airline pilot my entire life . That is why I understood the feelings of the original poster.

If you don't understand those feelings then just maybe aviation is not for you . Because it's not just another job in my book.

I know you think that people that love airplanes have caused all of the labor and pay problems in the industry. You might be right.

"Soooo" flame away!!! You won't bother me a bit.

A man with a mop and a sponge who is covered from head to toe with "blue juice" comes walking across the ramp and is stopped by his co-worker.

The co-worker says "Man are you a mess!!!"

The guy replied " You got that right! Every night I have to go into the toilet tank of that 747 and clean it with this mop and sponge. What a degrading job!!! To top it off, the hours stink, the benefits are terrible, and I only make $5.00 per hour. It really sucks."

The co-worker replied "So why don't you just go find another job?"

the man replies......"What, and leave aviation?"
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Who the heck knows why we do it!!!!!!! But at least It's GLAMOUROUS !!!! :)

hey "want to be xcop"...

Welcome to the board. I have an associate degree in Police Science and one year with a metropolitan police department. Took civil service exams for many police jobs during the 80's. During the 80's it was tough to get on with a good agency. Even tested against 1,000 applicants for 12 job openings with the Henrico County Division of Police once and darned near made it in. That was before I got into flying.

As far as spelling goes? Hell, I'm sure I have made more mistakes than just your one. I guess that was just a good excuse for an "ICE BREAKER" as any. See you around and good luck with your flying.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back