• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is going on at United???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are all overreacting to 1 bad quarter. The first quarter is always the weakest for any airline and this year's winter magnified the problem. United actually slightly beat Wall Street expectations and is still projected to make over 1 billion dollars this year (despite the 1st quarter loss). Here are the quarterly projections,

1Q actual: -1.33
2Q estimate: +2.03
3Q estimate: +2.57
4Q estimate: +1.08

These are projections per share. UAL currently has 373.5 million shares outstanding.

Bottom line... UAL isn't going bankrupt.

One can't deny that United has an inferior product, especially when competing with Middle Eastern airlines and Asian carriers. I'm just saying that if they don't improve they will loose their base of customers and any profit.

I'm wondering why the original poster is asking pilots about the financials of UA.

The main answer for the huge loss over there: too many RJs. They can't produce enough revenue to pay for the gas. AA/US also has a lot of RJs, but their quarter was helped by the forced DCA and LGA slots sale that gave them an extra $351 million.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
The demise of the 50 seat RJ is long overdue. Hopefully in 5 years they will go they way of the cramped 30 seat turboprops. Not every small podunk city in the USA deserves airline service. Flying an RJ between major cities to maintain frequency is an epic failure.

The main answer for the huge loss over there: too many RJs. They can't produce enough revenue to pay for the gas. AA/US also has a lot of RJs, but their quarter was helped by the forced DCA and LGA slots sale that gave them an extra $351 million.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Duh really :rolleyes:

I'm wondering why the original poster is asking pilots about the financials of UA.

I am wondering why you're such a negative nancy.

Pilots obviously don't have expertise on financials, but they do have clear insight into the nuts and bots of the operation as they are the linch pins that keep it moving. They also have a great vantage point on how their product compares to others in the market place. There's also a dispatcher or two masquerading as pilots who have good input!

Last edited:
I am wondering why you're such a negative nancy.

Pilots obviously don't have expertise on financials, but they do have clear insight into the nuts and bots of the operation as they are the linch pins that keep it moving. They also have a great vantage point on how their product compares to others in the market place. There's also a dispatcher or two masquerading as pilots who have good input!

While true most pilots don't have grasp on financials or even how to read a spreadsheet....you don't have to be a Harvard MBA to recognize a poorly run company.

Most of us have had a front row seat to seeing a poorly run operation by inept management.

Latest resources

Back