What is an ILS Y 19R approach?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Stewie

I was wondering if anyone knew the significance of the (Y) or (Z) or whatever follows the ILS name on an instrument approach chart? Someone asked me recently and I can't find the answer. I know that if it were a VOR A or B it would mean that there were multiple approaches of that type serving that particular airport but of all the ILSs I've shot I've never seen one called, say for example the ILS Y 19R.

any idea why you would need two different ILS's to serve the same runway. I can only guess as a backup if one failed? That might be why you usually only see them at military bases?

Stewie said:
any idea why you would need two different ILS's to serve the same runway. I can only guess as a backup if one failed? That might be why you usually only see them at military bases?

You don't have 2 different sets of ILS equipment, you have 2 different ILS procedures, both using the same LOC and GS. One reason you might encounter this is one procedure has been designed for transitions from victor airways and the other designed for transitions from colored airways, using an NDB as an initial approach fix.

Same ILS procedures, different minimums. At Midway (MDW) we (SWA) have an ILS 31C Z approach with lower minimums. It requires the use of the HGS (HUD) IIIa mode.

Latest resources

Back