What if you were a delta pilot (rjdc)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skydiverdriver

Try this on for size. Let's say you were a Delta pilot, and about ten years from now, a new airline was started called Interglobal. It flew only super-size A3XX's, and supersonic transports, as well as the space shuttle to our new outpost on the Moon. One day, the CEO decided he needed some atmospheric feed, and he purchased DElta and Continental. After a few years, the wholly owned's salaries started to stagnate. They went to their management, who said they would be kept separate. Then to their union, who had a policy of merging airlines that were purchased (you see, Interglobal had the same pilot's union.) The union turned them down, because they said, "Well, we're a global airline, and you are only a "major."

I just have two questions for you...

1, How would you feel about this?

2, What would you do about it?

(I know what you are thinking, this could never happen. But, just for the sake of a good arguement, answer the questions anyway.)

Good luck.

Well that's not what happened.

Delta (not DALPA) purchased CMR and ASA. Delta operates them as separate carriers.

Listen closely, DALPA cannot merge the lists. DALPA does NOT have the power to do so without the blessing of Delta.

Delta will NOT merge the lists because then we have leverage in contractural negotiations.

I can sue my cat to force him to bark, but he never will.

Besides, I've read the minutes from many meetings and I've never even heard of a instance when the MEC at ASA or CMR have even approached DALPA for anything whatsoever.

Braniff

#1. Why would my salary stagnate? Yours has grown.

#2. I would apply to interglobal. I have already left two airlines for better opportunities. I am now at an airline that I think has a great future. I did not get here by accident.

#3. If I could prove that the union broke the rules when they turned down my PID, then I might sue to have a neutral judge review the case. I would NOT try to bankrupt my union, I would NOT try to attack Interglobal's contract in an attempt to do their Moon routes for half the money, and I would NOT blame the Interglobal pilots for my inability to negotiate strong Change in Control or Successorship language in my Delta contract before Interglobal bought us. I might be upset with my MEC, but I would hope that I would not try to abragate or undermine Interglobal's negotiated contract.

That's exactly what I would do. Thank you for the honest answer, from FDJ, not mr Braniff.

PS, your salary would stagnate because your union negotiates differently for you than it does for the larger company, and your real owner treats you differently. Mine has not increased, at least not to be in line with industry standard.

Obviously, it's the fault of Interglobal's union. I'd sue them for $100,000,000 plus $2,000,000 for each pilot we had. That's the only logical thing to do.

Delta po boy,
Yes, I think you would. If you hired a very expensive lawyer, the only one that has ever beaten ALPA, and he told you to do that, I'm sure you would. Now, you probably would have never had any intention of trying to get any money, but legally, you have to show some kind of damage to get them to listen to you. Now, if they do end up paying us something, which won't happen, I will gladly apologise to you. Thanks for answering.

In one post you say:

"The rjdc has no intention of getting a merger out of it's lawsuit. "

In the previous post you said:

"If you hired a very expensive lawyer, the only one that has ever beaten ALPA, and he told you to do that, I'm sure you would. Now, you probably would have never had any intention of trying to get any money, but legally, you have to show some kind of damage to get them to listen to you. Now, if they do end up paying us something, which won't happen, I will gladly apologise to you."

If you don't want a merged seniority list or money from a lawsuit, what do you want?

I'd apply and get hired by Interglobal . . . . that is . . . if I could. Assuming it was not a violation of my major's scope clause and was legal for the company to start the new company. Of course, I could just bellyache, whine, and blame everybody else . . but that'd be counterproductive and not true to boot.

Been there, done that.

Latest resources

Back