Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: While we are on this subject

pmoffitt said:
While we are on this subject, how do the airlines feel about people sending in their resume slightly under the published mins?

Example, Comair, their published mins are 1200\100 I think. Their time from resume submission to interview is about 2 months at minimum. Is it OK to submit at say 1100 or so hours, knowing that most likely before the I would get called for an interview I would have well over the mins(Even though the chances of getting called for the interview at mins is pretty small).

What you described is exactly what happened to me...I had just over 1,000 hours on my resume but they called anyway and by the time I started class, I had over 1,200. I could argue that since most of my time was military and we don't log taxi time, that I really did have closer to 1,200 to begin with anyway. They have some discretion and flexibility on the minimums but getting them to budge in this day and age will only happen if you have some unique experience (eg. jet time, complex heavy equipment, etc.). I don't think it will ever hurt you though to send a resume early, especiallly if you're in the ball park...nothing ventured, nothing gained!

When I was hired at Phoenix Air (Atlanta, GA) in Oct. 1999 I had 1420/300; all but about 210 hours were dual given. I hired on at ACA in Apr. 2002 with about 4000/2400, 2100 turbine all SIC:(

Tailwinds...

Send it in anyway

I don't remember encountering any regional that specifically proscribed sending in materials if you did not meet its quals. Believe me, I did it. I received postcards stating that I did not meet the mins. I sent resumes to Mesa and to American Eagle before I made their mins. I kept sending resumes and eventually interviewed with both. Did the same with SkyWest, got no interview, met and exceeded its mins thrice over, and never got an interview.

I would do it - unless the airline specifically proscribes sending in materials for below who do not meet its mins.

Hired in 99 by Allegheny.

Was flying traditional 135 charter as Capt in a PA31-350. Had 2000tt and 1000 multi. The multi was 250 sic and 740 pic in a PA31-350. Ratings were ATP and CFI. 4 year degree, 24 years old.

My first job at 350tt was charter sic in a Navajo, but I instructed, and did traffic watch on days off to build total time. At one time I had 4 flying jobs (2 CFI, 1 traffic and 1 charter) at once, but those were different times.

Now I'm a down graded Capt at ALG. My pay this year has gone from 47.61/hr to 29.85/hr to 27.01/hr. At about 1100 pay hours per year thats more than 22,000 in pay cuts.

(($47.61-$27.01) X 1100 pay hours/year) = $22660

or $52,371 per year to $29,711 per year. OUCH!!!!

And to push the knife in my gut alittle deeper several of us at Allegheny (including myself) were hired almost 2 years ago by Airtran ( when nobody wanted to go there) but we turned it down because "good things were going to happen here". Thoes of us left in this group have been placed on suicide watch.

O well at least I've got a job, I'll just keep telling myself, "I love my Dash, I love my Dash.........untill I show up at my parents door. "mom I'm home....don't get paid enough to live on my own....but I'm responsible for hundreds of pax per day....oopsd not anymore...now I just put the gear up and shutup"

Last edited:
And too whine allittle more......

If i'd gone to _______ when got hired here I'd be ________

1. ACA - Dojet or CRJ capt, 50 something per hour
2. ASA (would of had to pay so out of the ? but) junior Jet capt, ATR capt, senior 120 Capt.
3. Comair (would of had to pay so out of the ? but) jet capt.
4.Whisky - 328 capt / 146 fo
5. Mesa - 145/crj capt
6. Chit - jet capt
7. TSA - jet capt? not sure, most likley 41 capt
8. Piedmont - same **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** position
10. PSA - junior capt???
11. Shuttle Am - ???? saab capt ????
12. Colgan - beech capt
13. Skywest - jet FO
14. Great Lakes - would have shot myself in the head by now
15. exp1/pin - saab/jet capt
16. Mesaba - ???? 146 fo
17. Coex (the only job I've ever been turned down for, interviewed in late 98) - jet capt
18. Eagle-Jet FO

So just about anywhere else I'd be pulling 50$hr as a jet capt. Luck of the draw I guess. Choose wisely my friends.
The stink of it is, ALG was my first choice.......it time to start drinking heavley......off to Cross Roads.

Last edited:
Lear Love,

You just never know. The short time I was at Eagle I flew with a captain who had it rough. We talked a bout 727s one day, I told him I had been on the 727 for a few companies, he said he had been a captain on it, and a captain on the A300 and 757. Eastern.

Here is the kicker. He had been hired at UAL in the early 70s and furloughed, Eastern was hiring the qualified 727 guys, so he went. UAL recalled him a couple years later. He had figured why would I go back to little old United. He retired at eagle as a Saab Captain.

At the end of the trip he said he didn;t think about it and had no hard feelings, but would have been 30 on the sen list on the 747-400. He would have retired before all this garbage with a bucket load of money.

AAflyer
It Ain't over till the clock strocks 60:D :D

Latest resources

Back