What Has Gone Right In Iraq

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bart said:
And more importantly, how would you divert the military forces currently deployed to more effective use? I don't see anywhere they could be put to better use, but I am open to ideas.
Well, I wouldn't divert forces that are currently deployed. That's the point: it's too late.

My question is this: there is a dictator out there who is torturing his own people in horrible ways and has real nuclear technology and offensive weapons. If it is now our goal to spread Democracy throughout the world, why aren't we working to put Kim Chong-il in the same cage Saddam's in? Saddam may have been a bastard, but at least he was relatively rational. Kim's crazy! Is George waiting for the N.K.'s to kick us in the nuts before he does something?

I wish I could say your posts entertained me 350, but I find closeted anti-semitism far from humorous.

You seldom cite facts or present a cohesive argument. Just name calling and generalized opinion. You need to be weaned from the CNN/BBC teat, and move over to some solid food. There is certainly no diversity in your news sources, I am sure.

Typhoon1244

You pose some valid questions as to why Iraq, and not North Korea. I would venture a purely speculative response to those questions.

As to why if it’s a good idea to liberate Iraq, why not N. Korea, Cuba, and other bad places?

First, even if there were a political will to spread the liberation forces, the US can not possibly do that all over the world. Not enough troops or money, let alone political will.

Second, it is widely believed that Kim does have nukes. That changes the approach a lot. We would never have dared invade the former Soviet Union…..they had nukes that would annihilate us.

And, a more cynical eye in me would also view that the lack of oil or any other thing of value to the economies of the west would preclude shedding blood for those down trodden folks in N. Korea, Cuba, and other places.

Re: Typhoon1244

jarhead said:
...a more cynical eye in me would also view that the lack of oil or any other thing of value to the economies of the west would preclude shedding blood for those down trodden folks in N. Korea, Cuba, and other places.
I had that thought myself...as have a lot of others.

Truth of the matter

The truth of the matter is that there are currently nine nations meeting with N. Korea to persuade them to dismantle their nukes. The leader is nonother than China. I understand that they are taking a lead in this because, since they are much closer than "most" other countries they are at greater risk.

The delay in taking action is in the deal they want to cut with the nations. Since they were able to dupe the previous administration into giving them money and oil, they are hoping for a much more lucrative deal this time. This is unaccepttable to the US and S. Korea. It doesn't make the media accounts since no one is dying and it would show that GWB is working to disarm this rogue nation.

Re: Occupation?

Benhuntn said:
It is not an occupation force, it is a LIBERATION FORCE!

Would you feel that way if someone invaded us and "liberated" us from the current administration?

You have read the New York Times too much.

And what do you read, sir? The Crawford, Texas Gazzette, the Cheney/Haliburton Flyer, the Rumsfeld Weekly, the Condeliza Sun, the Shawn Hannity Daily, the Rush Limbaugh Buffoon or the O'Reilly Spin Journal?

Re: Re: Occupation?

surplus1 said:
And what do you read, sir? The Crawford, Texas Gazzette, the Cheney/Haliburton Flyer, the Rumsfeld Weekly, the Condeliza Sun, the Shawn Hannity Daily, the Rush Limbaugh Buffoon or the O'Reilly Spin Journal?
ROTF, LMAO! :D

You said it all I was wrong

ROTF LMAO!

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt

Typhoon1244 said:
I just think that's awful strong language for someone who's never served a day in the military to throw around.
I don't think military service in any way qualifies or disqualifies someone to use the word coward. Their military service record, or lack thereof, is irrelevant. Wearing a uniform does not make one brave, nor does the lack of military service make one weak. The issue you raise with regard to military service is a red herring.

Lemme see... how else can I phrase this to try to convey the point?

It doesn't matter... if we disregard silly issues like this, we might have to deal with facts. Nevermind.

Re: You said it all I was wrong

Benhuntn said:

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism."

"The Americans will always do the right thing... after they've exhausted all the alternatives."

Winston Churchill (both)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back